Friday, February 24, 2006
Middle class WASP
If there is one lesson I have learned in graduate school, one issue that I have really started to ponder, one thing from the liberal, secular setting in which I find myself almost daily that has major implications on my process of sanctification, it is this: I am a middle class WASP snob. Trends in modern scholarship have some value, and I think that "whiteness" studies is one of the ones I find interesting and educational, and educational on a very personal level. For the first time in my life I realize just how privileged I was growing up and am now. Some of the privilege comes from what I have: education (which I was quite frankly expected to have by my social circle or "class"), a decent and not old car, the financial means to shop more or less when and where I please. Some privilege is from what I do not have: appearance (race or ethnicity) that immediately conjures negative stereotypes in many an imagination, mental "challenges", physical "challenges". I grew up with a lack of poverty. I grew up with a value for education. I developed a level of expectations for those around me to meet, a set of criteria by which I judge the value of people. I looked down on those who did not have a bachelor's degree. I looked down on those who did not have jobs that paid well enough to adopt the external trappings of the middle class. I look at myself and realize just how much of a snob that makes me. I am proud and I judge on eternally insignificant matters. I can appreciate my privilege and count my blessings, especially the blessing of being raised in a Christian home, sheltered from many of the horrible, wordly things that bombard too many children in America today. But I need to recognize that this privilege is not of my own making. I was born into this. Not all are destined for higher education, and that is not, contrary to what my brain keeps trying to tell me, a reflection on their intelligence or any other indicator of worthiness. It is when I finally realize that this is how I am inclined to think, and I take full blame for my own snobbery, that I understand how very irregularly I consider others better than myself. I don't. I consider myself better than others. This is pride. Pride is sinful and abhorrent to a holy God. I have been called to humility, and perhaps recognizing these manifestations of my pride is an important step in my spiritual growth. I fail here; by all-sufficient grace may the power of God be perfected in my weakness as He makes me more like Him.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


1 comment:
I, dear sister, am no longer a WASP. I'm a WASO. Just thought I would rub it in. ;)
Post a Comment