Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Church discipline & the OT

I read what God commands the Israelites to do when there is someone in their midst who sins (fornication, "stubborn and rebellious" children, adultery, worshipping another god, etc.) and I am glad that I live under the New Covenant. In most American churches you might get a slap on the hand for what would have cost you your life in ancient Israel. However, I think the general call for tolerance within the church body today is a sorry, pathetic and extremely unbiblical trend. All God is asking us to do now is to confront, attempt restoration and, if necessary, remove the offending party from the fellowship of the church. These measures are for those living a lifestyle of sin, and not for the one time occurrence as required in the OT. But I think the lesson is clear: God takes sin seriously. We are surrounded by sin in the secular world, we shouldn't be surrounded by it in our churches as well. The church is no place to tolerate sinful habits in believers. Doing so gives others the idea that sin is no big deal, and that, my friends, IS a big deal. Christ saved us from slavery to sin that we might not sin, so why do we cheapen His work on the cross by tolerating sin in the church? Thankfully not all churches have given in to the modern tolerance fad, and I am grateful for the churches (all three!) I have attended throughout my life and their commitment to fostering holiness in their people. If I fall, which I pray I do not, please don't kill me, though!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Angie :)

Enjoyed your comments on Jonathan's blog so I thought I'd check out yours :)

Thanks for this great post, I completely agree.

Confronting people as individuals is vital, and so is seperation where someone's hardened.

I've wondered about the sin that leads to death (in 1 John) and how that would relate to discipline. Actually I've wondered if maybe John was talking about murder, which had a pre-Mosaic law sanction of the death penalty. Maybe John was saying don't look for or pray for full restoration here, only the death penalty is God's will.

I'm not sure if that waids into Dispensational thought or not...

:)