Sunday, June 22, 2008

The latest toy

I recently "won" a retired computer from work. It is a Pentium4 at 3.00 GHz, so it's not really such a shabby old computer. I decided that since I already have a Windows desktop PC and a MacBook that I should use my latest toy as another learning tool.

I write to you from Linux. I have not yet explored it, and per Daniel's recommendation, I'm getting my feet wet with Ubunto. It comes preinstalled with basic applications and took very little time or effort to install. I think once I've played around a bit I will go for a version of Linux that perhaps takes more skill to use. So far it has taken me 5 minutes to verify the screen resolution and update my blog. Hopefully this will be a fun and educational toy for me!

4 comments:

burndive said...

Ooh-ooh! Try Gentoo!

It's what I use.

The best way to go is to read the handbook through once, and then follow it.

Angie said...

I just got started yesterday, Tim. I'd like to explore this one a bit first and then jump into something else. ;)

burndive said...

I'm not saying you can't take time to smell the Ubuntu roses, I'm just providing you with a recommendation for a distribution that will allow you to roll up your sleeves and get your hands a bit dirty (indeed, it will force you to do so), and also help you to understand what's going on under the covers at the same time.

While you're on Ubuntu, might I recommend that you add some more repositories.

Anonymous said...

Congrats! I like toys, too.

Whatever Tim said...but he also recommends wearing flippers.