How much does our obsession with choice influence how we understand theology?
Speaking of obsession...
Could we with ink the ocean fill, And were the skies of parchment made, Were every stalk on earth a quill, And every man a scribe by trade, To write the love of God above, Would drain the ocean dry. Nor could the scroll contain the whole, Though stretched from sky to sky.
3 comments:
Awww. Looking good Lucy girl!
You ask an interesting question.
I would have to say that I think the American virtue of individualism (of which this dedication to choice is a large part) is part of why we have such a fragmented Christianity in this country. I like choice and my free agency as much as the next person, but I also *chose* to practice my faith in an environment where my theological choices cease to be limitless. My choices, instead of being between theological options, are whittled down to questions about my obedience and personal actions. There is something to be said for that approach. I don't have to reinvent the theological wheel, I do have to examine my heart and conscience and to choose to follow Christ.
And ignore my punctuation, please... I'm still half asleep!
Lucy looks lovely. And they were modest, if provocative, shots.
Post a Comment