Tuesday, January 15, 2008
Can she bake a cherry pie?
Who knows, but she can bake an apple pie. I baked my first apple pie yesterday. I used a recipe that said to cook the apples first, then bake the pie. I found a dutch apple pie recipe online and used the topping and bake time from that recipe in combination with the apple filling recipe (that's the Apple Pie II from The All New Joy of Cooking for those of you who have it) in a frozen grocery store purchased pie crust. The crust was a little bit overdone (although not burnt), but the apples were so soft and smooth and yummy and the topping was very good as well. So why cook the apples first? They won't shrink when you bake the pie. The reason for this is actually for a second crust so it will lie flat and won't crumble when you cut it like it usually does for a more traditional two crust apple pie. I really think that I will always make apple pies with the precook method because I think it was the best filling I have ever had - twice-cooked apples with sugar and cinnamon and a dash of salt. The only thing I would do differently is make the pie a little bit fuller. I used a combination of apples in the pie, which probably added to its flavor. I used Golden Delicious, McIntosh and Cortland (that's a local variety, but they are very good) apples, and will have to keep that in mind for the future. I still have one more pie crust and more apples, so maybe I'll make another when this one is gone. I might just like pie after all...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


4 comments:
Memories. My mom (GS) used to say pies were a lot of work. G'mother Poole (GP) used to say pies were easy. GS made a wonderful thin crust, GP made a thicker, flakey yummy crust. Make your own crust, Angie. It is more work but worth it. Beside, then you can use the left over crust to bake with cinnamon and sugar on top.
In the fall, my mom, sister and I had a production line. Before the apple peeler/corer/slicer. Mom would make the crust, I think I did the peeling and slicing - although that was so time consuming, I think I had help. Jan would do the mixing and putting together. The guys would do the eating. We froze lots of pies to have over the winter and spring.
mmm. yummy. I wouldn't object to having to sample your wares. :)
I love pie! I have always made pie crust in the past, but this Thanksgiving I volunteered to host and couldn’t find the time to make it myself. I used the Pillsbury dough and found that it was almost as good as the stuff I usually make. I think it is great to take the time and effort to make my own pie crust, but I also always have store made stuff in the freezer incase I have to make something fast or if I have an urge to make meat pies :).
And you didn't send us a piece?
Congratulations on your pie success!
The most unique pie I have ever made was sour cream raisin. Jon's dad likes it so we made it for his birthday. It was good, but I prefer traditional fruit and cream pies.
Post a Comment