Sunday, April 13, 2008

Introducing Fishies!

I got my fish a few days ago. I got seven of them - three yellow cichlids, three blue striped cichlids and an algae eater.

I tried to photograph the fish, but that didn't work very well. The only one that was still long enough to take a clear picture of could be found on its side on the bottom of the tank about 24 hours after I brought them home, so I chose to instead take a video of the 2 blues, 3 yellows and 1 algae eater (that's the long, skinny one in the background) still in the tank.

I admit that I can watch these guys for a long time and not get bored!

I think one of my blues is turning yellow. That's actually okay. All it means is that it's a boy. Apparently this variety is vibrant blue when young then either fades to a lighter blue or turns vibrant yellow. Based on that knowledge, from the looks of things I have a boy and a girl remaining. I think with my yellows that I might have 2 boys and one girl, but they are harder to tell apart. Boys have more black on their fins. For those of you wondering, yes, these fish are known to spawn in an aquarium, so it is possible that I may end up with babies, but I won't count on that ;).

I've been testing the water pretty much daily. It's something that eventually I will only have to do weekly, but I'm testing often now to make sure that the water stays where it needs to be. So far it's been right where it should be, so that's great. I don't look forward to changing the water in the tank, but I'm sure it is something that I will get accustomed to. Having fish like this means I have to take good care of them!

Also, for those of you wondering, I have not named my fish and don't know if I ever will!

Mom, I measured the tank. 12-15 inches deep, 24 inches wide, 18 inches high. The fish are about 1.5-2 inches long and can get to be 4-6 inches long or so. The algae eater can get to be up 8 inches long.

This is a fact for Dad's interest - tilapia is a kind of cichlid.

Just for good measure - another video!

5 comments:

Nikki said...

I did not need to think of tilapia and your fish in the same sentence. I eat tilapia frequently. :O

Anonymous said...

Guess I need a different browser for the video. Only an empty space. Will try Explorer :)

Anonymous said...

Okay. I could see them. Same computer, same browser but I was logged on as myself. In the last instance, I was logged on as Ron. Maybe too much loads in memory when he logs on - or something...

Anyway. They have quite the accommodations. Cute as grandfish go.

Angie said...

Nikki, some people actually raise fish to eat. Cichlids are a really diverse kind of fish, found all over the world. They come in many sizes, shapes and colors. Some will grow up to 15 inches or longer in an aquarium!

The accommodations are spacious now but won't seem as large as the fish grow. I am determined to be kind to my fish and not overcrowd them!

Jon, Erin, Talia, and Elliana said...

Your pets are very graceful and serene. We see fish nearly every day in our local canal, but they are easily firghtened and swim off in a cloud of dust (can you say dust when it is under water?).