Sunday, October 12, 2008

Laughing at God

Genesis 17:17, 18:12-14, 21:1-2
Then Abraham fell on his face and laughed, and said in his heart, "Will a child be born to a man one hundred years old? And will Sarah, who is ninety years old, bear a child?"

Sarah laughed to herself, saying, "After I have become old, shall I have pleasure, my lord being old also?"
And the LORD said to Abraham, "Why did Sarah laugh, saying, 'Shall I indeed bear a child, when I am so old?'
"Is anything too difficult for the LORD? At the appointed time I will return to you, at this time next year, and Sarah will have a son."

Then the LORD took note of Sarah as He had said, and the LORD did for Sarah as He had promised.
So Sarah conceived and bore a son to Abraham in his old age, at the appointed time of which God had spoken to him.

Mark 5: 38-42
They came to the house of the synagogue official; and He saw a commotion, and people loudly weeping and wailing.
And entering in, He said to them, "Why make a commotion and weep? The child has not died, but is asleep."
They began laughing at Him. But putting them all out, He took along the child's father and mother and His own companions, and entered the room where the child was.
Taking the child by the hand, He said to her, "Talitha kum!" (which translated means, "Little girl, I say to you, get up!").
Immediately the girl got up and began to walk, for she was twelve years old. And immediately they were completely astounded.

Laughing at God is a sure sign that they didn't believe that He would do miraculous things. He said that something great was about to happen and they treated it like a joke. "Ha ha, God, that's a good one!" I think we fall into the same trap sometimes. We allow God to do good things, so long as they are within the bounds of what we consider possible. Old people don't have kids, and dead people stay dead. Is anything too difficult for the LORD? "With people it is impossible, but not with God; for all things are possible with God" (Mark 10:27). With small faith, we ask for small things. With faith in a God that finds nothing too difficult, we ask for great things. God hears our prayers, so what are we praying for? Are they little things or are they great things? Do we believe His promises or do we pick and choose from them depending on what seems more plausible?

May I have faith in my God such that I will never laugh at Him, no matter how impossible the miracle may seem.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We had a soul care day today at work. It was a very moving experience - individual time with the Lord. Goes along with our not believing God - not believing he will meet us and speak to us.