The was a time when I thought that growing up to be like my parents was something to be avoided. Today I come to confess that I want to become more like my mother.
My mother is a good example to me of discipline. I always thought that she must like walking every morning because she did it so faithfully. My ideal was shattered when she told me that she actually did not particularly want to do it. It was discipline.
The house was clean, which also took discipline (and child labor). The laundry always got done. There were always clean dishes. Dinner always arrived on the table. Labor of love? Sure. Fulfilling responsibilities? Sure. But I would say that loving and being responsible require discipline.
For God has not given us a spirit of timidity, but of power and love and discipline. I don't think those three things are unrelated.
To be disciplined in taking care of my apartment and my dog may seem small, but there is certainly a greater principle at stake. Did not Jesus tell a story of a man who went on a journey and left his servants in charge of his property? What did the man say to the servants who executed their duties faithfully?
"His master said to him, 'Well done, good and faithful slave. You were faithful with a few things, I will put you in charge of many things; enter into the joy of your master.'"
God may give me the task today to keep my kitchen clean. If I can be faithful in the small things, what greater tasks will He give me? But if I can't even manage to do that, can I expect to be given stewardship over anything more?
It's time to embrace the spirit of discipline which God has given to me. I may have to learn it one step at a time, but I'd like to hear "Well done." I think I'll go wash that cookie sheet...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


1 comment:
Good reminder. Thanks for sharing your confession.
Post a Comment