Tuesday, May 8, 2007

Just a man

I was reading my Bible this evening and read about the flood and then about how Noah got drunk from wine from the vineyard he planted. He fell asleep naked in his tent. Noah was just a man. I think that I am still tempted to consider people like Noah somehow superhuman, even though I know that he's not. God uses real people, and we don't have to be perfect. We just have to be obedient. Noah is remembered because of what God did when he obeyed, not for being a crazy old man who built a boat in a world that knew no rain. His neighbors laughed, but by obeying God it became apparent that he was not the village idiot. He was the wisest of them all. Noah was just a man, and he wasn't perfect, but when he obeyed God, God did great things in his life. That same God is still at work and still says to His children, "If you love Me, obey My commands."

Reading Genesis one also finds stories of "sons of God" finding women attractive and procreating to create a tribe of giants. There are great warriors who became the stuff of legends. Like flood legends from around the world, how much mythology is also based on historical fact? That's just food for thought.

3 comments:

Angie said...

Yes, I understand that, Matt, but the point is there is a Biblical reference to heavenly beings coming down to marry women and then having children who became giants. How many mythical stories contain such things? There are a number! Maybe what were in reality angels became gods in the memory of later generations.

Unknown said...

So the key question becomes, "Am I obedient?" not "Am I perfect?"
Thank God for grace.

Matthew Celestine said...

Angie, I quite agree. Fracis Schaeffer said pretty much what you just said.