Friday, May 25, 2007

Taking California by stomach

So far my stay here in California can be summed up by...food. There are a number of foods and restaurants that I find rather palatable that are either very hard or impossible to find in New York. My first meal at home...tamales. Yum! They were white corn chicken tamales. Breakfast the next morning was not anything particularly special, but I made it, so that might have something to do with it ;). For lunch yesterday I had In-N-Out, the BEST fast food burgers I have ever eaten, hands down. For dinner last night my dad made carne asada, which he purchased from a Mexican meat market in the neighborhood, and we had more tamales (beef and pork with yellow corn this time) with beans, rice and tortillas. Breakfast was typical company fare for our house...omelette, bacon, hash browns, fruit and coffee cake. (Meals tend to be a bit over the top around here, but I don't mind that!) For lunch we are going to go to Ricardo's El Ranchito, which is one of my two favorite restaurants. They make their tortilla chips from flour tortillas, and those just can't be beat! Tonight I will eat at Dodger Stadium, so probably some garlic fries and a hot dog or bratwurst. The only meal plan for tomorrow that I know of so far is dinner. We are going to go with my sister and brother-in-law to Steak-n-Stein, which is my other favorite restaurant. I think I'll get myself a filet mignon, medium rare. Mmmm! I'll probably gain a few pounds out here at this rate, but considering how long I have to wait between enjoying some of these things I might be okay with that. ;). I am, of course, enjoying being with my family and my dog.

1 comment:

ROD said...

Welcome to the Left Coast! You won't find better food.