Monday, August 11, 2008

Pet videos

First we'll start off with the Jack Dempseys. The video doesn't do the larger two justice, as they are far more colorful than they appear. The light reflects off of their scales in blues and greens. I am really glad I got these fish! The smaller two are very light in color. This is mostly likely caused by stress. The cause of the stress is most likely their tankmates. The larger are a bit aggressive toward the smaller. They will chase them around the tank. It is interesting to note that these fish were all the same size when I got them. I imagine growth is related to health and also pecking order. He who eats most grows most.

There's also a rather large algae eating fish in the tank that I did not capture on the video. It's a master of hiding, even though it's probably 4 inches long!

Then we have the other fish. You probably have seen most of them before. The largest fish does like to chase the others (notice a trend?) and the two smallest tend to hide in corners. The smaller of my two striped fish is starting to turn yellow like the big one, so it looks like I may have two males. I tried to get a good shot of the Jewel, but it's the one that seems most camera shy and darts away. It is very pretty when the light hits it right and shows some nice red tones. I did get my algae eaters in this shot, down on the bottom of the tank. The darker, larger one is the same kind of algae eater that is in my other tank, just much smaller. Again in this tank there are a lot of fish that started out similar sizes. Some fish just grow much more quickly than others, and then they pick on the little ones. The Jewel is similar size to my large Kenyi, but is a less aggressive species and finds itself lower on the pecking order, although it certainly doesn't get chased as much as the others.

And now for the grand finale!

2 comments:

Nikki said...

What lovely housemates. :) I am glad you are enjoying them so much and that you are sharing them with us.

Nik

Angie said...

The smallest Jack Dempsey fell prey to it's larger tankmates. Such is the way of nature and aggressive fish!