Monday, December 26, 2005

Monday Evening Post

I watched the Chronicles of Narnia instead of Harry Potter the other day. I thought it quite well done and know why people loved it. I also can see why there are some who were not completely enraptured by it. It's a story for children. I like stories for children (anyone who has seen my ever-growing VeggieTales collection can testify to that), so I liked it. I enjoyed the talking children in the theater (and there were many), as they added the wonder and innocence the audience should have. I still have every intention of seeing Harry Potter, however, and may disagree with those who said Narnia was better just because I like the Harry Potter books much more than the Narnia books (heresy, I know!).
I also went to see the Wallace & Grommit movie at a dollar theater (and managed to get in for free!) and have to say that it disappointed me. I love their three original episodes, so I was expecting great things. It had its moments, certainly, but there were things in there that were rather "suggestive." That ruined whatever genius it had for me. (I didn't find the story all that great, either.)
I had a stupid moment today. It was one of those moments where my great philosophy which ought to guide my actions faltered in the face of my own selfishness. The philosophy is that we ought to live as though today is the last day we may ever spend with those we love that we might not regret the past. It is a fine idea, but it did not occur to me to apply it until the time had passed. My dad asked me if I wanted to go to breakfast this morning. I said no and gave some lousy excuse for my answer and went back to bed. Breakfast is not my favorite meal of the day and I can take it or leave it for the most part. My dad, however, is a big fan of breakfast and enjoys going out. Though it may not be my first choice of how to spend my time, it would have been nice for him. That is time that I lost to my selfishness that I can never regain. Now may be the only time that I have, but I must get out of the now and think about how each "now" will be accounted for and how I can never go back and fix the misused "nows" of my past; they live on in my memory, and some old "nows" are haunting...
While I am here in CA on my break I need to start writing my personal statement for the teaching program I will apply for soon. I need to write 4-5 pages on why I want to teach what I want to teach. History is experienced as nothing but multitudinous dates, details and dead men for far too many students. It should be something far more interesting than that! They want 4-5 pages? I may find that rather constricting!

No comments: