Monday, January 23, 2006

All I have needed

I joined the church choir last week. So far it has been fun. My friend and I joined together, which has helped. There is at least ONE name I will remember that way (actually, I do know a few more than that). I like being in a church choir because it helps me to meet people who are not part of my default church clique. It also fits me well because it increases my ability to come up with a song for everything (in my family growing up there was always a song, so why change that now that I'm on my own?). In some cases it merely gives variation to a theme I have known for as long as I can remember singing church music. One of the songs we are singing is called "He's Always Been Faithful." It's taken from "Great Is Thy Faithfulness" and their shared theme is the story of my life. God has always been faithful to me. ALL I have needed His had has provided. I may harp on this over and over again, but if I do it is because I believe it. God has given me what I needed when I needed it and I can be confident that if He has not seen fit to give me what I think I should have it is because I do not need it. This is a lesson in gratitude as well as in contentment. I was reminded today of specific ways in which God has shown His faithfulness to me. One of my friends asked me if I was planning on getting a job for the semester and then told me that she may know of a possible lead for a job. If you read my post from this morning you will know that I am thinking of getting a job. Regardless of whether this ultimately leads to any employment for me, it made me remember God's faithfulness. The greatest "proof" I have that God will be faithful to me today and tomorrow and all subsequent tomorrows is His perfect record of faithfulness to me in the past. If I need a job, He will provide one for me. During my last semester of college I was looking for a job. I did some online searching and applied at one place that proved to be a dead end. Through a series of events that are far beyond coincidental I ended up with a job offer over the telephone from a man I had never met. There was no application and no interview and for all I know there were no other people they even considered for the job. The phone call said the job was mine if I wanted it. My general philosophy is that God will always provide what we need but that we still have a responsibility to take initiative and look for a job if a job is what we need and have faith that God's plan will be made clear in due time. "You can't expect God to just drop a job in your lap." That's what I said back in college, but God went beyond my expectations and dropped a job in my lap. It may never happen that way again, but I expect God to go beyond my expectations in new ways. God does not lack for creativity in how He faithfully provides for us and blesses us. Perhaps I don't need a job after all, but if I do, He will provide it according to His own perfect plan.
"This I recall to my mind,
Therefore I have hope.
The LORD's lovingkindnesses indeed never cease,
For His compassions never fail.
They are new every morning;
Great is Thy faithfulness.
'The LORD is my portion,' says my soul,
'Therefore I have hope in Him.'
The LORD is good to those who wait for Him,
To the person who seeks Him."
~ Lamentations 3:21-25

No comments: