Friday, January 6, 2006
Falling for an advertisement
I am generally amused by the television commercials I see and am not in the least bit tempted to purchase whatever life-enhancing product is presented. Generally the only exception to the rule is if I happen to see a commercial for a product I am already using and would buy without the ad (Old Navy clothes, for instance). Perhaps some of this is because of which TV channels I watch. I usually watch TV Land, and apparently I do not meet the advertising demographic of that particular channel (they sell power chairs for the immobile and pain reliever - methinks perhaps they are anticipating slightly older viewers). There is one commercial that worked, however, and, $108 later, I am now the proud owner of an Oral-B Triumph toothbrush. The commercial showed the typical people with nice smiles and perfect teeth, but what sold me was the animation of how the floss-action brush head works. It does a better job cleaning between your teeth as well as just the readily-accessible surface than your standard, arm-powered toothbrush or older models of the electric toothbrushes. I think they discovered something amazing about advertising: advertise the product and people might actually buy it! I hate beer commercials that advertise suggestive dancing and tight abs, as if suddenly by drinking ____ beer (there are several that advertise this way, so pick your favorite) you will gain sex appeal. Somehow I don't buy it. Too many commercials are like that - they don't bother telling you about the product, just why you need it or how it will revolutionize your life. Anyway, the toothbrush is great. I have gained a new appreciation for cleaning my teeth. It leaves my teeth feeling as clean as if I had just come from the dentist, but the cleaning process actually feels good! Do I need it? No, but I think it is still a somewhat practical purchase. Everyone appreciates good oral hygiene in other people, and it gives me that confidence I need to receive passionate kisses at any time, knowing that my teeth are very well cleaned! (Not that I expect any such kiss - see the kissing purity test below...)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


1 comment:
No, no, you don't understand. If you drink beer everyone else becomes more attractive.
Post a Comment