Friday, January 26, 2007

Strategic moves

I am using my spare time at home to create documents containing information regarding troubleshooting internet connection issues. Basically what I am doing is making training and resource materials for work to assist the people I work with, particularly to help new employees. I am supposed to meet with my supervisor and manager about it soon. As it turns out they had already been discussing stuff about training, so my timing is really good.

This is something I do partly for myself. I wish I had more resources available to me to help me walk customers through things, so I made lots of screenshots of different things I do from time to time just so I can see approximately what the customer sees. It's amazing how much a visual aid can help when one is trying to explain something to a customer!

The second reason is to help my coworkers. If I want this stuff, it would probably help them, too. I realize that I know more about some things than a lot of my coworkers do and honestly do want to equip them with more knowledge that would help raise the overall level of support that we as a team give to our customers. Some of them don't need this stuff or wouldn't use it, and that is fine with me. The main focus is to give information to new employees and equip them from the beginning. There is a lot of stuff that they just didn't teach us when I started that I think they should have!

The third reason is pure strategy. I am intentionally doing my best to make myself a resource to other people. I am very consciously taking initiative to improve the quality of support that all of our customers receive. I am making myself stand apart from my peers. Management sees these things and it pays off in the future. I don't want to reset cable boxes and modems for the rest of my life. I really do not mind it now, but this is no career. I am putting myself into a position now to move up in the future. Mama didn't raise no fool!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nope, she sho di'nt! :)