Monday, December 10, 2007

Doh!

If life teaches us anything, it should teach us to laugh at ourselves. With antics like mine, how can I resist such a lesson?

I spent almost an hour on Sunday morning on the phone with my mom (and my dad for a bit, but he had to leave for church so didn't stay on long). The consequences of that were rushing out the door in an attempt to get myself to church as close to on time as possible. Little did I know what my morning would be like.

Exit apartment. Door is locked. Walk to car. On the way to the car, grab keys out of the...wait! Why aren't my keys in my purse! Not again!

I locked my keys in my apartment a few weeks ago on a cold snowy morning. It was a Friday during business hours, so someone from the leasing office let me in for free. There is a charge after hours and on weekends for such services. One would think that I had learned from the previous experience. Then again, my history says that such things repeat themselves in a short period of time. I had never locked myself out of my living quarters before (I have had someone else lock me out when I was in the shower in a dorm, but that was inadvertent and was quickly rectified). I have locked my keys in my car twice. Both times were within a month of each other. Now the same with my keys and my apartment? *Sigh*

I checked and double checked my purse. Not there. There is a three inch plush Eeyore on them, so it's pretty obvious if they are there or not. I checked my pocket - no keys.

So I sent a text message to my roommate who was at church so she would know and perhaps take pity on me and come home after church to let me in. (No such luck. Knowing full well that I was locked out she opted to go to lunch with someone and didn't get home until well after 2:00.) I called one of my friends who goes to church at 11:30 to see if I could tag along, but I got no answer.

Fortunately for me, someone was doing laundry in the laundry room right next door to my apartment and opened the door. It didn't shut all the way, so I was able to go in and have a warm place to sit.

I read my Bible for a bit. Then I moved on to an old magazine and read a few articles. Then at 12:30 I tried to contact people again since church should be out and maybe someone could either come rescue me or find my roommate and see if she was coming home or not. Nobody answered still. Around 1:00 I decided to check to see if my roommate had come home, but she hadn't. I am not even entirely sure why, but I put my hands in my pockets and realized that my keys were in my coat pocket. I had checked the right one but not the left one. I had my keys with me all along and only assumed that because I had locked myself out once that not immediately finding my keys meant that I did it again. Doh! I let myself into my apartment and for penance worked on cleaning my room.

I think it's time to start carrying around a second set of keys again like I started to after locking my keys in the car twice.

4 comments:

Nikki said...

Oh dear. Great story. Reminds me of when I locked myself out of our apartment in Mission Viejo when Dan was already at church and the management office was closed for hours. I ended up hiking in my church shoes about a 1/2 mile to Starbucks (the place I could think of that might be open and near a pay phone), begging phone money off of an employee there (I only had a credit card on me) calling a taxi, waiting 40 minutes for it to show up and arriving at church very late, sore and considerably poorer, considering that taxis in So Cal are something you use when you are rich and out of other options. I think I really HAD locked myself out that time... but it was more adventure than I wanted. I'm glad you made it back into your place in one piece, and that you hadn't gone through more heroics in the meantime!

Anonymous said...

I thought it was "duh". Well, as you know, I have done this, like locking Nikki in the car when she was very little. Thus there are duplicate and triplicate and quadruplicate keys for our house, my car, etc. But one can still lock oneself out even with lots of extra keys. It is a science.

Angie said...

Doh, I believe, is a Simpsons phrase. It is somewhat interchangable with duh but has its own special nuances. ;)

Unknown said...

Remember the time I locked myself and my roommates out of our apartment on Valentines Day? You were our hero that night.