Yeah, yeah, so I didn't update my blog as quickly as I thought I would.
Sweeney Todd was well done and I liked it. Nikki said that there was one word that was missing that disappointed her. My missing word is "locksmith". "A Little Priest" is one of the most amusing numbers in Sweeney Todd, but the took out one of my favorite parts. On the whole, however, I thought it was very good. The music they cut out is probably much more meaningful on the stage than in a film version because of the nature of the respective mediums.
The movie was bloody, but in a very non-realistic manner. The colors used overall were rather dark and the color of the blood was very intentionally bright red. To me that made the blood less horrific than it would have been if it had looked remotely real.
Burton's production is more tragic than humorous as compared to other productions, but he certainly did not remove humor altogether. There were some parts that made me laugh delightfully. The acting was excellent in some parts and merely good in others, but I like the casting. The film version has some definite casting advantages over the original Broadway cast, specifically with Johanna, Anthony and Toby. They seem much, much, much more age appropriate and sounded better in my opinion, too.
Overall, if the macabre doesn't make your blood curdle and you like a good musical, you might find yourself enjoying Sweeney Todd.
In other news, the job interview I had on Thursday for the promotion went very well. I don't expect to hear back too soon, so nobody should hold their breath. They changed my hours at work to 9-6 Tuesday-Saturday as well, so I am adjusting to more "normal" hours. So far I enjoy getting home from work at a time that makes cooking dinner more feasible!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


1 comment:
Hey Angie. Just wanted to wish you a happy 2008. Hope you get your promotion!! :)
Post a Comment