Saturday, February 16, 2008

Living Room

Not long before I left California I went with some of my friends from church to the Hollywood Bowl for a concert. It was a French themed evening, featuring music from France, music about France, can-can dancers and a French band. The French band sang a song called "Living Room" that was all in French, except for part of the chorus:

Living, living, living room...


I have no idea what the song was about other than that right there. Odd though it may be, when I went to update my blog, that's what came to mind.

My roommate is moving out in 13 days and is taking the couch, chair and TV that are in our living room. This means it's time to redecorate. Today I made the first major step and ordered a small sectional sofa that should seat 4 comfortably and possibly another person as well. One side of the sectional folds out into a 6 inch "mattress". I doubt that it is the best bed ever, but it should suffice to hold a guest, or two if they really like each other. I have been watching sales and there was a pretty good one this weekend, and since they contact you in 1-2 weeks to schedule delivery, the time was right to buy. Any earlier and I might have to find a place to put an extra sofa and any later and I go through life with no living room furniture for longer than I care to.

I would like to thank the governments of the United States of America and the State of New York for helping me save up money to fund this project. The money they have helped me save will cover the cost of a new sofa and a new television, perhaps with a little bit left over for the purchase of artwork or a chair.

In other news, from the rumors around the office, the individuals chosen for the job for which I interviewed in January have been selected, and I am not one of them. I am okay with this. I have not been told officially one way or the other, however. Rumor also has it that next week we will be told what our wage increases, effective in March, will be. This rumor indicates that they will be very nice increases. We shall see.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice to see your post. It will be nice to also see your living when it is all fixed up. Pictures will have to do for now...

Anonymous said...

Hey, I remember that French evening! (Complete with a particularly flirty French Bread that had us scratching our heads in confusion afterwards. LOL). That Living Room soong was pretty good. :) Post pics of your new setup, it may be a while yet before I can go out there for a visit :(

I'm pretty sure you got a great deal on your new couch, right? I don't know what the economy is like out there, but around here, now is an excellent time to buy new furniture. With the housing market down, there is a general tightening of belts around here that is causing several other markets (particularly the furniture market) to go down as well. So if you've got some money stashed away for new furniture, now is a great time!! :) I wish I could say the same for baby stuffs but since the semi-baby boom we're in right now is keeping up the demand, there is unfortunately no break for us new mommies. Doh! :)

Sorry to hear that you didn't get the job. I'm sure there will be plenty of opportunities later. :)