Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Recurring Dreams

Along the recent blogging theme of recent dreams, I have two that haunt me from time to time. They are related dreams but different. One is trying to find a place to answer nature's call and the other is trying to find a place to shower.

The first is something that I dream sometimes when I really do need to use the restroom. I can remember traumatizing toilet dreams from when I was a child. I can find toilets, but none that are in working order. They are filled to the brim, just really dirty, or in a public place where there is no privacy. I go from restroom to restroom (and there are always several of them) and can never find a toilet that I can use. It's disturbing.

The second is similar. I want to take a shower, but the places I find with showers have windows that can't be covered, doors that can't be closed, or are just in the middle of rooms full of people that I cannot find a way to make private. I will find one that looks like it is safe to use and suddenly discover some reason why it can be seen by any number of people.

I'm not sure what these say about me (other than I like to shower in complete privacy and was about to use a toilet when it overflowed when I was a kid), but they are recurrent themes. Both dreams are full of distress, and nobody else seems to think that anything is wrong with the situation...

3 comments:

Nikki said...

Um, yeah... I relate to the toilet dream. Maybe we can attribute that to the somewhat less pristine condition of "Dad's" bathroom before its makeover. lol. Shower dreams... not my bag. I consider it nightmarish not to be able to bathe frequently, but maybe my trips to Mexico at YUGO with the group showers have cured me somewhat of the fear of showering publicly. Believe me, I'd rather have an audience than skip a shower for too terribly long. Still, I avoid audiences when I have a choice. :)

Jon, Erin, Talia, and Elliana said...

Thank goodness I don't remember too many bathroom dreams. After reading about your dreams I did a little research on dream interpretation (while I don't believe there is anything supernatural in dreams, I do believe it is our brain's way of rehashing our thoughts, etc.). The research suggested, take it or leave it, that people that dream about bathrooms may feel that they need more privacy in their lives. They feel too exposed or too crowded by others. It could fit, seeing as you have a roommate and had a sister roommate for much of your life. In a shared living situation there is a sense of never being able to let down your guard (while this was the case in dorm days, it is not with the hubby of your dreams :)). Just a thought.

Anonymous said...

Yup, the privacy thing. We have all been there. Maybe it is lack of control in a situation. And like you said, the other people in your dreams "couldn't care less". Is that saying it's your problem?