Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Pie, Second Edition

I made a peach pie yesterday. It was more lazy than the last pie, but in a different way. I bought pie filling and pie crust mix. So I added water to the pie crust, mixed, rolled, put into pan, added filling, made a lattice top crust and baked. I actually liked the pie crust, so that tells me that it's good stuff ;). It baked really well and was easy to work with, both before and after baking. It was more of a thin, soft crust rather than flaky, for texture references, but that's perfectly fine with me. I'll have to keep Jiffy pie crust mix in mind for the future, but also remember to buy two cans of filling instead of just one, since the pie was rather thin, if I decide to go with the easy way to make pie.

Mom, I cheated on my crust. It was easy, tasted good, and I still got to sprinkle cinnamin and sugar on the scraps. Perhaps one day I will try my own, but for now, I found something that works. :)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, as a working woman sometimes ya gotta find shortcuts!! ;) I am greatly looking forward to being a stay-at-home mom. *counts down impatiently*

Jon, Erin, Talia, and Elliana said...

I am sure you will remember that one of Granddaddy's favorite sayings was that something was a "pie crust promise; easily made, easily broken." This phrase is obviously from a time when making a pie crust was quick and routine in most households. The act of making a pie, even with the help of mixes, is definitely not routine these days. I am glad that you are finding something that works.

Nikki said...

Hehe. Yeah... Grandmother certainly knew how to make a crust. I happen to have a husband who is willing to make crusts, so I usually ask him to make the crust if I want to make a pie. That is very happy coincidence. I have a feeling the majority of my crusts would be frozen were Dan not such a "pie crust? No problem" sort of guy.

Anonymous said...

Oh, I never cheated...