Wednesday, November 9, 2005
Procrastination
Yes, procrastination, every student's most reliably fair-weather friend. Why do today what you could put off until tomorrow? I procrastinate. Horribly. If there is no deadline alarmingly close, there is no work being done. Usually I procrastinate with homework, but there are a few other things that I will also put off. Laundry and dishes, usually. With dishes, I can at least do them at any hour in the comfort of my apartment, so procrastination there typically only means that I have too many dishes to fit in the sink/drying rack at the same time. I procrastinate there because I hate doing dishes. With laundry, I procrastinate because it's a small time commitment and I have to leave my apartment to get it done. I have the option of the extremely frightening basement in the house or getting in my car and driving a few blocks to the public laundry facilities. I typically prefer the latter since it takes less time, but with either, I have to go outside and carry my laundry across the street to my car or around the house and down the stairs. This is where procrastination becomes a bit of a problem. In sunny Southern California, this wouldn't generally be an issue, but here, I have good reason for calling procrastination a fair-weather friend. I should have done laundry on Friday, but it took much longer than they told me it would to put new tires on. Then I should have done it Saturday, but I played Scrabble instead. Sunday the weather was supposed to be bad, and I would rather not be traipsing around with a full laundry basket in the middle of a thunderstorm. Monday I was doing homework and didn't have time before class. Yesterday I got up too late to get it done before 2:00 and had to be home in the afternoon to accept a UPS delivery. Today I absolutely had to get it done, and, of course, it rained today. Procrastination left me when the weather was bad. Fortunately it stopped raining long enough for me to get some of my laundry done and back home. I know that procrastination is an unwise thing to practice, but I still do it. Maybe next time I'll get stuck in a downpour and will finally learn that such fair-weather friends should be avoided like the plague.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


2 comments:
I thought about commenting on this, but I think I'll do it later.
You learned from the best!
Big Sis
yeah. yes. But I understand.
Mom
Post a Comment