Tuesday, November 8, 2005

Quotes I like

Occasionally I come across something in a book or movie that stands out to me for one reason or another. Here are some that I like:

"He liked to fish; he seemed to take pride in being able to like such a stupid occupation."
-Leo Tolstoy, Anna Karenina
(Disclaimer: I thought this was funny, it does not necessarily reflect my opinion)

"Look here, Ivan Denisovich, your soul wants to pray to God, so why don't you let it have its way?"
-Alexander Solzhenitsyn, One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich

"If books were to be admitted or rejected according to the moral character or their authors, the library shelves would be empty."
-Victoria & Albert

"Did you fall in love?"
"Sir?"
"Your father said, 'Marry first, fall in love later.' Did you?"
"I don't know that I've ever thought about it."
"How very English of you."
"Yes, yes. I'm not quite sure how to answer you, sir. The home that we've made together, the children, well, these have certainly created a, a bond of very strong affection. Could you call it love? Yes, I think you could. Not a grand passion, of course, but perhaps something deeper, more durable."
-Victoria & Albert
(It is so amazing to me that such a dialogue exists in a movie made so recently. It seems to go against all modern conception of what love is all about. I think it's great, and this brief scene is one of the reasons that I would count this among my absolute favorite movies.)

No comments: