Monday, September 29, 2008

Heartache

I have a broken heart. I love someone who is dating someone else. I've never experienced this kind of hurt before. I've been dealing with it for a month, since they started dating. It's a roller coaster and at times I do better than at others, but it's hard. I don't know what to do. I want to run, I want to hide, I want to scream, I want to find some way to take out my frustration, but I know that no matter what I do the pain will still be there.

I go to pray and I can't get words out, so I'm trusting that the Holy Spirit will translate for me. I know what I feel is not uncommon to mankind, but it's so new to me. It's so overwhelming. God can heal my heart and can give me peace. I can accept this with time. I want my love to wane, to move on. Yes, I want to find a godly man but my heart is not free. What a place to be.

When my dog died the only thing that made me feel better was looking for and getting a new dog. It's too bad people aren't like dogs in cases like this. I can't just go find a new one to love.

I need to get involved at church. I made a request to find someone to disciple me and for more information on getting involved in a group. I need godly people around me. This man that I love was my best friend, one of the only real friends I have here, and I can't go there for comfort. I feel so alone. I need God so much.

We talked about peace in church yesterday, and it was one of the most timely messages for me that I ever remember hearing. Responding to life with peace - "This doesn't change who God is." It's hard to see that God will work things for my good when my world has been turned upside down and twisted every which way. It is hard to desire that other people will be blessed through something that causes me so much pain.

I did not guard my heart, and it got broken. I know that in many ways I brought this on myself. That doesn't bring much comfort.

Pray for me. There's a lot of potential for God to work in my life through this, and I want to come away with as much of Him as I can.

4 comments:

The Garcias said...

I am and will pray for you, Angie! There are few things that bring comfort in times such as this apart from the grace of God. Take my word, it does get easier, the heart does mend over time. And it will take time. I think you are pursuing right things. Community is what you need. Now is not a time to hide away in a dark closet. :) I wish you were here for me to steal you away to some happy location and escape with a fun movie and lots of ice cream and tea.
with love, jessica

Angie said...

I just watched An American in Paris. It's about a man who falls in love with a girl who is engaged to another man. In the end, the fiance smiles as he helps her out of the car to leave him and go to the other man. Life doesn't really work that way, does it? Anyway, as I found the movie highly unrealistic in that respect, it reminded me of someone that I once had a crush on. I met him and just thought he had to be it! Well, he's married now, and happily so. I look back on it and can laugh now. It is actually very comforting to remember that.

I feel really at peace right now. I know the pain will be nagging at me for some time, but I embrace the peace. I know people are praying for me and I feel really supported. The prayers are helping so much, and God is being gracious to me. Thank you!

Nikki said...

Heartache is the worst sort of ailment; you can't exactly take two aspirin and expect to wake up with its effects dulled. That said, I think it has taught me some of my most valuable life lessons over time. I would live through every heart-broken moment again in a heartbeat if it meant finding the right man waiting for me at the end again. My sister hackles are up, and I would love to spare you this sort of pain. Unfortunately, I can't. I can pray for you and assure you that I care and am here for you and tell you that I know this sort of pain can be overcome with time. It's part of loving and living, but while it will probably leave you forever changed, you will not always feel it like you do now, and other joys will come to fill the space it left behind. Trite but true. Love you.

Anonymous said...

Mankind has this problem. And God gave us the emotions we experience.

I know how real the pain is. I know it can fade sometimes rather quickly and sometimes it take a while.

Love you and praying for you.