Saturday, September 13, 2008

Sisters

I was perusing some stuff on Facebook tonight and saw a comment that one of my friends made on a picture of her sister telling her how beautiful she is. I was struck by that and it warmed my heart. Sisters are great. It's a relationship like no other, and no matter where life takes us, our hearts remain with them.

Nikki is the sister I can talk to about anything. We are enough alike that we understand each other pretty well. I think she knows more about me than anyone else in the family does. We aren't afraid of the "darker" aspects of each other's lives, and as an imperfect person, I find that I need that comfort zone with someone. With Nikki life is real and it's not painted in rosy colors. It is the good and the bad and most of all it's honest. Even in the reality of life, however, Nikki finds the beautiful and the poetic and expresses them marvelously. She's also my big sister and wants to take care of me. We're both strong and stubborn, so things aren't always smooth sailing, but I am so glad that I have her as a friend now that we're adults.

Erin and I share so much history. We were playmates and home school classmates. We went to the same schools for all but two years from the time we started home school to the time she graduated from college. We know so many of the same people and did so many overlapping activities that there is a bond that is unparalleled. Our understanding of each other comes more from environment and experience than from similarities. Life has taken us very far from each other and down very different paths since college, but that doesn't diminish the many things we shared. Erin is the cheerful, positive one and talking to her makes life seem a little bit brighter. Plus she's Talia's mom, which I think says quite a lot! ;)

I really love my sisters and am blessed to have them both. Mom, we became friends!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very special blog. How blessed are parents when their kids can appreciate each other! Similarities and uniqueness. None of you have passive personalities. I like that.

Thank you, Angie. And thank you, Nikki and Erin.

And I have delights - your singing together and the very fun holiday times, playing games especially.

Jon, Erin, Talia, and Elliana said...

Erin, the sister who takes so long to respond!

This post made me think of White Christmas:

"God help the mister who comes between me and my sister, and God help the sister who comes between me and my man."

You are very sweet and I am blessed to have as my sister. I have few childhood memories that don't include you. Thanks for being such a great older, oh yeah, younger sister ;).