Tuesday, March 6, 2007

Provision, responsibility, temptation

I was reviewing finances and budget last night. I am one of those people who believes that if we are not irresponsible with our money that God will provide what we need to get by. I'm doing alright this month with the finances, for sure. I paid all of my bills for this month except rent, and because I pay all of the common bills my rent check is usually pretty low (in other words I pay rent/2 - common bills/2). Our electric bill was much higher than usual due to the really cold weather we got last month, so my rent this month is less than $200. I have two paychecks coming between now and then and the one coming on Thursday is much higher than usual. I am also expecting my tax refunds to come sometime this month. The extra money is great, but the question is what to do with it. I know what it is going to go to, honestly. I need to pay off debt. The question is which debt to pay down and how much money to save for the near future when the last of my student loans comes out of its grace period. The new monthly payment for that one lender alone is equivalent to what I am giving to the church every month right now. I am doing fine paying all of my bills now because I have been really careful about how I have been spending my money and right now am able to predict fairly well how much I'll have to pay for everything monthly. That extra expense means that I have to be really careful. I crunched the numbers. If I make the same amount of money in June that I do on average now, my income will cover everything except giving to the church. Not giving is not an option, so I am going to have to use my extra money now very wisely to put myself in a position where my income covers everything. I need less debt, not more, and I will not stop giving back to God in gratitude for what He has given me, especially when I know very well that I can easily make up the difference by working a few extra hours every week. If that's what it takes, I'll do it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I hate student loans too! For Vince and I, not tithing is also not an option and it is really cool to see God's providence in action. :) Hang in there chicky! :)

burndive said...

"Bring the whole tithe into the treasure-house, that there may be food in my house, and prove me now herewith, saith Jehovah of hosts, if I open not to you the windows of the heavens, and pour you out a blessing, till there be no place for it."
~Malachi 3:10