I made some comments on my blog over the past few weeks that I would like to officially recant. This is not necessarily prompted by anyone pointing out the error of my ways, although I think I have misrepresented myself in one of these posts, but part of the process of growth as I attempt to reconcile what I believe to what is happening in the world today.
I think there are some specific issues that the Bible does speak to, such as how we should approach paying taxes to provide for the needs of aliens - the tithe to feed the alien, orphan, widow and Levite was, as we might do well to remember, "in order that the LORD your God may bless you in all the work of your hand which you do." - March 31
On second thought, no, there is a legitimate reason for not wanting to support illegal immigrants in this manner because it essentially grants governmental sanction of their illegal presence. However, I still hold that we should consider it our responsibility to care for those who are here legally, even if that means paying slightly higher taxes, and should show humanitarian compassion on those here illegally even as we seek to uphold the law. I recant my overly simplistic first conclusion - the issue is much more complicated than I saw it then.
Since I have posted a few times on Christians and immigration I thought I'd add this link to an article from Christianity Today. A friend sent it to me and I liked it. http://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/2006/114/53.0.html - April 8
Disrespect for the law was never my intent (except in the one instance where I see clear conflict between man's law and God's law, and even then my deeper conviction, not well articulated, I confess, is that the law is problematic and should be addressed) - I seek to address attitudes toward aliens as people. I reread this article and now see that it is really faulty (and wonder how I missed this the first time I read it), using Enlightenment ideals (rather than biblical ideals, which don't agree with the point they are trying to make, in my opinion) to justify lawlessness vis-à-vis illegal immigration. They may raise good points for the debate as a whole, but take it a little bit too far in how their ideals should work in real life. In short, I don't like the article now.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment