Monday, April 24, 2006

What not to read at 1:00 am

Last night I read An Economic Interpretation of the Constitution of the United States. In this 1913 classic, Charles A. Beard very systematically describes the economic aspects of the process of drafting and ratifying the Constitution. I would say that 90% of his evidence was circumstantial, which always leaves me with reasonable doubt. He spent 75 pages describing the economic situation of each and every delegate to the Philadelphia Convention to "prove" that they all had economic interests to protect. 75 pages of that at 1:00 am? Walk up to wall. Facing wall, move head forcefully forward until contact with wall is made. Return head to original position. Repeat ad infinitum.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow . . . 75 pages? of THAT? You go girl . . . I probably would have fallen asleep at the 12th page or so. haha. :)

Carey said...

*yawn* I think I'd have dropped the book after one paragraph (unless I had to read it under pain of death).

Angie said...

I was under pain of showing up in class and not knowing what the books I was presenting actually said...academic death, you might call it...