Thursday, April 20, 2006

An unexpected blessing

An hour ago I wrote, "I could use "free" right about now!" I called the airline to change my departure date from May 4 to May 3, and everything was going well until I found out that it was going to cost an extra $650 to change it. One day was just not worth it; I thought they might charge $100 or so for a voluntary schedule change. Plan B - make them change which flights I was taking on Thursday and give up my hopes of that extra day in CA. I purchased the ticket about 10 months ago, and in that time they had changed my flights a few times. They had me flying out of Syracuse at 6:00 am and then have a 4 hour layover in Chicago. I'd have to leave my house at 3:00 am to sit in Chicago for 4 hours? No, I don't think so. Because they changed my original schedule I knew they had to let me change the flights once for free. She (or was it a she? - I could have sworn this person introduced themselves as "Fred" but certainly sounded like a woman - maybe it was short for something) checked the flights available on Thursday, then she made a phone call, then she came back - they changed my flight date to Wednesday with the flight schedule I wanted (leaving at 10:00 am from Syracuse and arriving in Los Angeles around 2:30) at no extra charge. I am not sure what happened, but it saved me a lot of money!

No comments: