Saturday, April 8, 2006

Whatever is true

"Finally, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, let your mind dwell on these things." ~ Philippians 4:8
Women tend to read into things. I am a woman, and I am no exception to this rule. Sometimes I find myself getting carried away by my imagination into a future world carefully crafted to meet whatever "dream" my mind embraces at the time. I am convinced that such things are unproductive at best (unless we aspire to write novels or scripts) and can lead to discontentment. When Paul exhorts us to let our minds dwell on whatever is true, I think it is safe to say that we should not let our minds dwell on whatever is not true. In this case I would say that possibilities are not true. Living in a really nice house on a large lot: not out of the realm of possibility, but still not true. Marrying whichever young man I have my eye on: remotely possible, but not true. "All I have needed Thy hand hath provided": TRUE. Submitting our hearts, our lives and our minds to God may mean giving up our dreams, but He is guaranteed to replace those dreams with perfect peace for those whose minds dwell on Him.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

AMEN! This verse is one that I continually go back to. I think it is very true that we women read into things WAY too much! I am very thankful for God's word, that consistently points us back on the path of TRUTH!