Friday, April 21, 2006

Nothing heroic about it

I think it has been about two months now since I called the cable company and had them disconnect my television. Yes, no TV for me. It was a measure to remove one time wasting temptation from my life, but I think it helped me reconsider what I choose to watch. I think that I am becoming more and more prudish and sensitive to negative messages in movies. I am becoming more aware of the pervasive sinfulness of our modern society and its infecting power. I was recently introduced to Moulin Rouge. It's been around for a few years, I know, but I usually am not "with the times" when it comes to entertainment. Even when I watched TV it was stuff like Little House on the Prairie and Bonanza (okay, so my parents got me hooked on CSI for a while, but that I think has proven to be naught but a fad for me). I have had a number of friends who really like Moulin Rouge. The opening scenes are really quite garish and I found myself wondering what on earth people found appealing about the film as I watched it for the first time. The film is, I have to admit, rather engrossing and I now own the DVD, although I am inclined to watch only a few scenes from it. I generally skip most of it and just watch the scenes that have the music and cinematography that most appeal to me. Some of the music is amazingly well put together. One of the scenes that I like most is perhaps one with the worst message. For those familiar with the film I am referring to the "Elephant Love Medley" where Ewan McGregor and Nicole Kidman sing together on top of the elephant. The words of that medley are terrible! One of the climactic moments is when Ewan McGregor sings, "We could be heroes, just for one day." It continues, "We could steal time, just for one day. We could be heroes, forever and ever." They could be heroes, in other words, for having sex with someone they just met "in the name of love." That one day would make them heroes forever? There is nothing heroic about it. Love's heroes are those who hold the marriage bed sacred! I hate the implications of such reflections. If I consider my collection of DVDs how many are just not edifying? But why should I resist removing possible "pollutants" from my life? Sometimes indulging in unholy pleasures, even as passive as just watching movies with bad messages just feels good. I just quoted Philippians 4:8 a few days ago to focus on thinking on what is true. The rest of the verse convicts me on this issue: "whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, let your mind dwell on these things."

3 comments:

Matthew Celestine said...

Sensible.

I watch very little television.

Angie said...

I don't think we're missing much! Thanks for visiting! Comments mean a lot to me, because that way I know somebody is actually reading my blog!

Carey said...

Good idea, Angie. I currently live with my parents, so I can't ditch the TV, but when I have my own place I'm not planning on having a television. I never watch it anyway.