Friday, April 28, 2006

Thoughts for the day

I went to the grocery store this afternoon. While I was there I decided to buy myself some Mandarin Orange flavored Smirnoff Twisted V. I have wanted to try it for some weeks now and finally broke down and bought a 6-pack. It really does taste good. I also got some Smirnoff Ice Triple Black because I already know that I like that stuff.

I just found an old business card in a book a few minutes ago. It is a book that I lent to my brother-in-law some time back and the business card had my sister's handwriting on it. She had taken notes on my dad's condition when he was in the hospital two years ago. Two months with three stays in the hospital, most of that time in critical care. He was given a 10% chance of survival very early on and we were told to call in the family. It brings back bittersweet memories of heartache and God's goodness. I look forward to seeing my dad next week.

I was thinking today about the book of Esther. God is never mentioned in that book, yet He is there, so very clearly guiding the events and turning the heart of the king "like channels of water" (see Proverbs 21:1). Even when God seems silent, even when others turn against us and seek to do us harm, He is still in control. "Do not fear them, for the LORD your God is the one fighting for you" (Deuteronomy 3:22). If God is for us, who can be against us? His power is not diminished by silence.

"Hear, O Israel! The LORD is our God, the LORD is one! And you shall love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your might. And these words, which I am commanding you today, shall be on your heart; and you shall teach them diligently to your sons and shall talk of them when you sit in your house and when you walk by the way and when you lie down and when you rise up." ~ Deuteronomy 6:4-7
"Thy word I have treasured in my heart..." ~ Psalm 119:11a
"This book of the law shall not depart from your mouth..." ~ Joshua 1:8a
"...For out of the abundance of the heart his mouth speaks." ~ Luke 6:45b
What words are coming out of my mouth today? What do they say about my heart?

8 comments:

Matthew Celestine said...

So I am not the only Christian bloger who posts about alcoholic beverages, then.

Some sound thoughts there.

God Bless

Matthew

Angie said...

This is probably the first time for me, but you aren't the only one in either case.

Thanks for commenting. At least I know that somebody is reading my blog!

Carey said...

I'm reading your blog too!

Pop quiz...

What two books in the Bible never mention the name of God?

Angie said...

It's good to see you here again, Carey. :)

God is not explicitly mentioned in Esther or Song of Solomon (unless you use the NASB or ESV - Song 8:6 is translated as "the very flame of the LORD" in both).

Do I pass?

Carey said...

*DING DING* We have a winner!

Song of Solomon 8:6 - original Hebrew does not actually say "flame of the Lord." The translators were taking some liberty there. 'Esh (aysh) means "a supernatural fire" which figuratively refers to the wrath of God, but does not explicitly refer to Him.

Angie said...

I did my homework on that one before I responded. According to the link in your post on that verse it is not "esh" that is used, I don't think. (I am using my own spelling on these transliterations from Hebrew.) Esh is a generic word for fire, at least in modern Hebrew.

"Esh" reminds me of another story (don't worry, I only have so many, I'll run out eventually). There was a man who lived on the Moshav in Israel where we were staying. He was a Messianic Jew originally from Argentina. Several times when we were there he explained a little story about how men and women should get along and why they don't always. (I wish I could remember how these words are spelled in Hebrew, but I really can't.) The word for man is ish and the word for woman is ishah. If you take the yah (common shortened version of YHWH) out of ish and ishah you are left with esh. In other words if God is not in your relationship you will be left with fire.

Angie said...

Concession: esh is the root of the word that is used.

Redeemed said...

Angie, I read your blog too!

You are loved!!