I got a phone call at 7:30 am yesterday. It woke me up. It was a plea for help. They needed someone to fill in for the morning program at the school I work(ed) at in the afternoon. I was there on site within 20 minutes of the call, unshowered and barely awake. I decided to get my drug test for the new job while I was out, so I did that and picked up my paycheck for the first two weeks at the school and then came back home and went to bed for a few more hours. I am glad I was able to help out. It gave me one more hour with the kids and one more hour of pay, too. When I am done with my training I think I will let them know when I can work as a substitute, provided that my new employers don't have any problem with that.
Today Nicole and I went to the Endicott Apple Fest. It is basically a little craft fair in the three blocks that make up downtown Endicott. I found some jalapeño jelly in a candle store that was having a sale (probably to make the most of the increased number of people out today). It's the kind of jelly that makes good dip, especially when served with cream cheese and raspberry jelly. I thought it was fun to actually find something like that out here, so I bought it. I also bought a small jar of someone's homemade pear jelly. I love pears, so I thought I might try this stuff. Since it is homemade I am sure it is good, too. Since there was an apple theme, I got some apple fritters at one place (battered and fried apple rings with cinnamon and sugar - yum!) and Nicole bought some apple cider. I also picked up a few pounds of freshly picked apples and made apple sauce with them this evening. It would have been nice to have an apple corer/slicer/peeler, but I decided to go ahead and make it even without such a contraption. I did all the peeling and cutting by hand, figuring that if they did such things by hand for years, I can certainly do it now. The apple sauce is really good, so I am happy about that.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


5 comments:
I love apple cider. In fact, my favorite tea is this apple cider flavour that my good friend got me addicted to.
If you have any more apples, you can also make apple pie. yummy :) Apple pie is my favorite desert...with ice cream on top, of course.
Not alcoholic cider, Sarah? Can you get it without alcohol in Canada?
The apple festival sounds exciting.
God Bless
Matthew
Cider on this side of the pond refers generally to non-filtered apple juice made from a few different varieties of apples. It has a heavier flavor than regular apple juice. The good stuff is fresh and has a rather short shelf life. A lot of people like to drink it hot and spiced, but Nicole and I both like it cold. We refer to alcoholic cider as hard cider. I do not like hard cider at all. It tastes like funky champagne.
It's non-alcoholic cider, Matthew. It's made wholly from all sorts of apple, really it's apple juice. Angie has a much better explanation that I :)
Angie, I prefer it cold also, except for the tea. duh!
By the way, Tropicana has all sorts of new flavours out, and one of them is apple juice, orchard style. Don't know if it's really apple cider, but that's what it tastes like. It's very good!
Cider over here is almost always alcoholic. I am not keen on our Cider at all. I prefer beer.
My sister is a big Cider fan.
However, my parents have a very nice Cider Liquer.
God Bless
Matthew
Post a Comment