I made my "special recipe" chicken (as I will call it now because I think it's going to be one of those things that will have my signature on it, and since the recipe is my own creation, I think I have the right to call it that!) tonight for a friend, and made some slight modifications to it. This time I prepared more of the orange juice mixture so that I could marinate the chicken. I marinated the chicken for about three hours. I put the chicken in a baking dish and poured about 2/3 of the orange juice mixture into the dish with the chicken and put it in the oven to bake. I took the remaining marinade and put it in a pan on the stove, bringing it to a boil and boiling it for at least a minute to make sure the meat juices that mixed in it cooked well enough to kill anything nasty that might be in there. I added more lemon juice and more Mexican Seasoning to it and a little bit of brown sugar, then cooked it down until I had a nice sauce. Here's the recipe as it stands now, in my terms (sorry, still didn't really measure anything):
Ingredients
Chicken breasts (or other chicken pieces)
Orange juice
Lemon juice
Olive oil
Mexican Seasoning
Brown sugar
Directions
Begin with the orange juice (1-2 cups or more, depending on the amount of chicken and size of baking dish you are using), adding to it lemon juice and olive oil (1 teaspoon to 1 tablespoon of each, to taste). Add Mexican Seasoning to taste, but do not be afraid of it (I recommend shaking some in, stirring and sniffing to get an idea of strength and adding more if necessary - you should be able to smell it without being overpowered by it). Pour the mixture over the chicken pieces and refrigerate for a couple of hours (I put mine in a gallon size freezer bag). Preheat the oven to 375. Place the marinated chicken in a baking dish and pour 1/2-2/3 of the marinade over the chicken. Bake for 30-35 minutes, turning halfway through cooking if desired (time given is for halved boneless, skinless chicken breasts). While the chicken is baking, put the remaining 1/3-1/2 of the marinade in a pan and bring it to a boil on the stove. Allow it to boil at a full boil for at least a minute. Lower the heat and add more lemon juice, Mexican Seasoning and a bit of brown sugar. Cook until reduced to a sauce, stirring often. If it cooks down to a sauce that is thicker than you prefer, simply add water to thin it. Spoon the sauce over the baked chicken when serving. May be served on a bed of rice (add chicken bullion to the rice for additional flavor).
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


3 comments:
I certainly thought it was. ;)
Mom made chicken and rice for dinner today. Your recipe does sound good though.
See my comment in your tortilla post about the correlation between my hungriness and your blog. LOL. :)
Post a Comment