Tuesday, September 5, 2006
So soon?
Last night I went outside around 10:00 to take out the trash and was greeted at the door by the night air. Though not cold, there was a chill on the air - an unmistakable chill that laughingly said that summer is ending and soon it will be time to add blankets to the beds and pull out those winter clothes. Fall is a lovely but very brief season here. The leaves will change next month. There will be apples everywhere. People will head to the local tire businesses to have their snow tires put on. The first snow last year was in October. It was early, but not unheard of. The winter was mild, however. I dare not hope that this winter will be as mild. Last year at this time everything was still new to me and I had never experienced the seasons. I managed to survive each of them in turn and was overwhelmed by none. I watched the leaves change to yellows and reds and then fall to the ground. Naked trees standing in the midst of snow marked the winter landscape. Spring came and trees budded in the warmer air. Spring is a much more gradual season than fall and it took a couple of months for the hills to be fully covered in green again. Summer came, bringing heat, humidity and rain, and I enjoyed dressing for warm weather. It is much more natural for me to dress to stay cool rather than to stay warm. Now I will have to prepare to stay warm for a few months. I know that soon the thermostats will all be adjusted in order to maintain a comfortable indoor temperature - the chill in the air told me so. I am just not ready for it to happen so soon.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


9 comments:
Maybe it is good that I dont live in New York.
Can't handle a little cold? ;) It's really not as bad here as it is in a lot of other places - like the Midwest, for example.
It’s funny, we’re all dreading winter already over here. I really don’t want to think about it though. I love the months of September and October so I will try and enjoy those as best as I can. But I’m not looking forward to January and February….
I do like to see freshly fallen snow on the Christmas decorations people put up after Thanksgiving here. That's beautiful. Snow is acceptable then, but once Christmas passes it is time for Spring to come! Personally I confess that I prefer a snow shower to a rain shower. It's less "wet" and is prettier! When the rain started falling again in Spring I almost wished that it was still snowing instead. If only it didn't make the roads more hazardous - that's really why winter is hard for me - I don't know how to drive in the snow yet!
I am sure I could handle colder winters than we get here. But would I want to?
Driving in the snow isn't so bad. Try driving when it's freezing rain...seriously scary, I hate it.
Snow actually has its charms! As long as we weren't getting several inches it really didn't bother me.
Sarah, the first time I drove in snow I hit a patch of ice about a block away from my apartment (thankfully on my way home!). We got some "lake effect" snow on Thanksgiving and it seems that the good folks of the city I lived in didn't bother preparing for the snow and did not plow or salt well at all. I think the village I live in now does a much better job of taking care of the snow on the roads. We got 9 inches of snow one day (which is a very heavy snowfall for this area - typical is 2-3 inches per day, I think), and my friend (who grew up here and knows how to drive in the snow) and I made a decision that we were not going to class that evening because it wasn't worth the risk of driving in the storm. It's snow like that to which I refer!
Snow - nice to visit, not so nice to live in. :)
Nice to visit? What about Christmas in Ohio - how nice was that?
Post a Comment