Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Mothers are underpaid

I arrived at my babysitting job just after 7:00 this morning and was there for over 11 hours before her mom came home. It was a rather long day. The baby was good for me, but she's learning to crawl very quickly. I had the option of giving her a bath or not today, depending on how brave I was feeling. We had a little incident involving diaper changing and what can happen after one diaper is removed and before the clean one is put on. That made the bath necessary, although I couldn't find the clean towels, so it had to wait until later and we made do with a sponge bath until I found out where the towels were kept. While I was cleaning up the baby and the bassinet, I discovered that one of the cats had caught and eaten a mouse while outside and then thrown the mouse back up on a white lace table runner. That was disgusting, but I had to clean that up, too. Bath time was fine. I had never done such a thing as bathing a baby, but these things are all good experience for me. I chose to view things in a philosophical light and decided that today was just a taste of life as a mother. Mothers are underpaid and underappreciated, but taking care of the baby has confirmed that it's a job I want some day!

2 comments:

Jonathan Moorhead said...

Try on 4 of those meatheads 24/7! I will say, it is quite different when you are watching your own children. They are such a blessing.

Kalamata said...

What an incredible sequence of events...and that was just one day! When you become a mom, start a blog called "A Day in the Life of a Mom" and tell stories like that everyday! Children are a blessing, and an adventure!