Tuesday, August 15, 2006

General update

I got a lead on a job that has not yet been posted. The lead came from a professor at the university I attended. She was my supervisor when I taught the ESL class. If I use her name as a reference perhaps my application will receive more attention. Perhaps. She was responding to a request I made to get a letter of recommendation for me to submit with substitute teaching applications to local school districts. Substitute teaching is my default plan right now since I know I can make some income that way, but I would prefer something with a little bit more security. I think the job she told me about would be great fun and a lot of work, but it is related to something I strongly believe in. Perhaps when it is posted and I apply officially I will tell you all what it is. Perhaps. ;)

We had two more staff leave to return to school in the past few days. The summer program at the Boys & Girls Club is ending at the end of next week. The time has gone by so quickly and I have enjoyed it a lot. My patience has officially worn thin and I have decided that I am not putting up with anything anymore, however. The last two days the kids have had the opportunity to practice lining up in a straight line, quickly and quietly, keeping their hands to themselves, and then walking nicely down the hallway. It is an exercise in listening (which they cannot seem to do) as well as a not-so-subtle reminder that their behavior is sub-par. When the pastor was telling us about his trip to Japan on Sunday morning, he mentioned that their culture is respectful. They respect other people. I wish our culture had some notion of that. It might save these kids the trouble of walking up and down the hallway and sitting in silence whilst pondering the rules of the program (which I made them do yesterday in addition to practicing walking in lines as punishment for being unable to stop talking when they were asked to be quiet). I will continue to ask them the rules and make the walk until they figure out that perhaps it is best to do it right the first time. They will probably hate me for it, but that's too bad.

4 comments:

Matthew Celestine said...

Do you not need to be a qualified teacher to do substitute teaching?

Redeemed said...

That sounds like a good position, and it's always nice when you have a contact ;)

Will keep praying for your job situation. I know the Lord is about to open the door and will give you an excellent job. We serve a good God!

Angie said...

Some school districts require a teaching certificate and some do not. Fortunately the closest ones to me do not require it.

I know God has a job for me, but I would really like to know what it is and when I will have it!

Matthew Celestine said...

I know the feeling.