Tuesday, August 8, 2006

Starting a new project

I have temporarily laid aside the blanket I am making to begin a new project. While the older project involves basic knitting, crocheting and sewing, this new project is an all crocheted afghan. I went to the store today to buy yarn and more crochet hooks and also picked up a small pattern book, so I am trying my hand a crocheting according to a pattern. It is an interesting task as I have done nothing that involves more than the most basic of crochet stitches in the past. I got some instruction from my roommate on how to do another kind of stitch and then proceeded to attempt to follow the instructions in the pattern. Two rows in and I think I'll be able to do this afghan without too many problems, which is exciting since it is my very first. It is a lot easier than I thought it would be!

Sitting on the couch crocheting made me think of my grandma. She crocheted all the time, even with very arthritic fingers. At one time she attempted to teach me how to do some crocheting, but I was too young to concentrate on it long enough to actually learn it well. I have to imagine that she would be pleased to know that I picked it up now. As I made my stitches, I remember her making very similar motions as she did hers. When Nicole taught me the basics a few months ago, she commented that I held the hook differently than how she showed it to me. I hold the hook the way Grandma held it. Most of what she tried to teach me never sank in, but her legacy did not die.

9 comments:

Matthew Celestine said...

That does not sound like a Dyspraxic-friendly project.

Angie said...

No, I do not imagine that it would be!

Redeemed said...

I really admire that you can do all this. Made me think of Proverbs 31 ;)

Pro 31:13 She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands.

I should love to see some of your work, Angie!

Carey said...

I tried that knitting/sewing/crochet stuff and well... let's just say that's not my cup of tea. I admire women who have the patience for that kind of stuff.

Rose~ said...

I can sew and I really love to sew, but I tried crocheting once and I decided I would try to learn it later - it was not very easy!

Angie said...

Knitting is easier to learn but I am beginning to think that crocheting is actually easier to do while being harder to learn, if that makes any sense at all. I have done a little bit of sewing in the past, but watching my roommate struggle with the sewing machine she is using to make curtains for her bedroom serves as an incouragement to stick to playing with yarn!

Angie said...

*encouragement

Sheesh! I'll blame that one on sleep deprivation...

Jonathan Moorhead said...

Good memories.

Anonymous said...

Yay! I think crocheted things are rather pretty. I have a friend who loves to crochet and anytime someone mentions it or I see a crocheted item, I immediately think of her. I never picked up the hobby though. I think I have too many hobbies already. LOL! :) Although I did manage a certain redhead to teach me knitting. ;)