Tuesday, August 1, 2006

I broke it

Today I was playing kickball with the kids in the gym. Now that we're back at the Club we have a full sized gym to use. I was up to kick. I kicked the ball. It hit the rafters at mid-court. It permanently damaged the ball. Ooops. I was wearing flip-flops, too! I didn't kick quite as hard the next time. One of my kids did the same thing yesterday, so it's not just me. ;)

Today I also got really angry at some of the kids for the first time. As much as I yell at the kids when I am irritated or frustrated, I did not yell when I was mad. No yelling was needed. I think the offending parties knew from my body language that I was not at all pleased with their behavior. I am glad that I did not yell, however. I opted for the firm lecturing mother mode instead, which I think is probably better. I got my point across in a slightly gentler way. Another kid came very close to making me very angry for talking back repeatedly. I informed him that my fuse was getting very short. I have learned that there are two things for which I have very little tolerance: not listening to what I say the first time I say it and talking back. There's a simple solution to both: keep the mouth closed and the ears open!

It was hot and humid today. We spent most of the day in air conditioned rooms or doing activities that require little to no movement. It was just too hot to do anything more. We had planned tentatively to have another water balloon fight, but it started raining in the afternoon. Tomorrow it is supposed to be about as hot and humid. We are supposed to go to a "senior living center" in the morning and then out to golf in the afternoon. That should make for a rather interesting day!

I started to read a novel this evening. Reading fiction. Reading something I chose to read. What a concept! I dislike life as a student because it makes reading a chore instead of a pleasure. I am reclaiming the pleasure!

5 comments:

Matthew Celestine said...

I hope you enjoy your novel.

It must be a little difficult playing ball games in flip flops.

Angie said...

So far I am enjoying the novel. One of my friends gave it to me for Christmas and I have been looking forward to reading it since then!

Flip flops are not ideal shoes for such games, certainly, and do slow one down when one attempts to run.

Rose~ said...

It sounds like you have been having loads of fun and physical activity with the young ones!

Anonymous said...

LOL, that was the same exact thing I did after finishing college, I read several fiction books just so I could remember how nice reading can be. LOL. :)

Angie said...

Rose, I most certainly have!

Shieryl, books that are not assigned reading are great!