Thursday, August 3, 2006

I've been tagged!

The ever reasonable Rose~ "tagged" me.

1. One book that changed your life:
The Bible
I know Rose used this one and that it is the obvious, "Sunday School" answer, but I have to use it, too. The Bible is the only book that has changed my life. No others have had much influence on me. When God Writes Your Life Story, by Eric and Leslie Ludy, had some impact recently, but nothing I would call life-changing.

2. One book that you’ve read more than once:
Pride and Prejudice, by Jane Austen
Did you really have to ask?

3. One book you’d want on a desert island:
Les Miserables, by Victor Hugo
Probably the best work of fiction I have ever read. The novel is so much more than just a story. It's also really long, so it would keep me occupied longer than other books might.

4. One book that made you laugh:
Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers, by Mary Roach
Morbid, but still very funny.

5. One book that made you cry [or feel really sad]:
The Jungle, by Upton Sinclair
While influential in bringing reforms to the US meatpacking industry, I found its greatest power to be depression. The whole book is just dark and depressing. I came very close to throwing it across the room and had to put it down for a week before I could bring myself to finish it.

6. One book that you wish had been written:
Salvation, Faith and Works for Dummies, by Peter, Paul, John and James
Wouldn't that be nice? We would have to find something else to disagree on, then, wouldn't we?

7. One book that you wish had never been written:
The Book of Mormon
Many people will stand in judgment and wish it had never been written, too.

8. One book you’re currently reading:
Peace Like a River, by Leif Enger
So far I like it. It was a Christmas gift from a friend. One reviewer compared it with A River Runs through It, and I can see why.

9. One book you’ve been meaning to read:
The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time, by Mark Haddon
Another Christmas gift, this time from my sister (who also gave me Stiff for Christmas).

10. Now tag five people:
Tim, Shieryl, Carey, Sarah (Redeemed), Psychobob

11 comments:

Rose~ said...

Thanks Angie! That list was interesting. I have now added two of your choices to my mental list of "I've been meaning to read" because now I mean to read them.

Anonymous said...

I'm so happy that you are FINALLY reading "Peace Like a River." What an excellent choice! I hope you enjoy it as much as I did and do.

Angie said...

Rose, I could have used other books for most of these but thought I would go for the ones that are not as well known to most of my readers. :)

Jess, I am enjoying Peace Like a River! Thanks for giving it to me!

Matthew Celestine said...

Carey already got tagged by Palm Boy.

The only one of those I have read, apart from the Bible and parts of the Book of Mormon, is 'Pride and Prejudice'.

God Bless

Matt

Angie said...

Well she hasn't posted hers, so I suppose it's okay that she's been tagged twice. My blogging world isn't very big and I think most other bloggers I know have been tagged already!

Matthew Celestine said...

This one seems to be spreading fast.

Redeemed said...

ooh, I have been tagged. Ok, I will get around to it as soon as I can.

burndive said...

If you have to tag five people, and let's say it takes about a week for turn-around time, and assuming that no one tags people who have already been tagged (because they read their blogs), the time it would take for every living member of the human race to get tagged is about 14 weeks(*) from when the guy who made up the survey posted it.

My point is that this is a system that is designed for interference, so if someone doesn't notice that you tagged them, you should not try to point it out to them.

(*) 5^14 = 6.1 Billion

Angie said...

Tim, I say fie on your mathmatical formulae! I guess you could say that I made things move more quickly than I should because I also already asked my parents what their responses would be. Neither of them are bloggers.

Matt, it is indeed spreading quickly.

Sarah, I know you're busy, so I don't expect it right away!

Anonymous said...

Tagger. ;)

Angie said...

Shoot, Shieryl, I knew I should have hidden the can of spray paint! ;)