Sunday, August 13, 2006

A nice Sunday

This morning at church the associate pastor who teaches our Sunday School class gave us all Japanese snack foods. He just returned from a short term trip to Japan to work with a missionary that our church supports. I liked the Japanese snacks that I have had in the past and am usually up for trying anything once, so I took advantage of the opportunity before me. There was some stringy, chewy stuff - dried squid from what I am told. I even ate that and it really wasn't too bad. I doubt I would make it my snack food of choice, however. They are apparently planning on sending a group back over in two years to do some vacation Bible school stuff, and I think I'll keep that in the back of my mind. I would kind of like to go!

This evening we had a commissioning service for a family who are leaving in a week to start their first term of service in Nigeria. It was a very nice service. They are going to direct the implementation of youth groups in 6,000 Nigerian churches at the request of a group of Christian leaders from Africa. They told us that 42% of the population of Nigeria is under the age of 15, so ministry to young people is a huge need!

Overall it was a great reminder that God is at work all throughout the world. When people obediently go and are supported by prayer warriors back "home", God does great things through them.

5 comments:

Matthew Celestine said...

It is great that he went to Japan as a missionary.
Though they could do with more long-term people.

I am not so keen on Japanese Rice Crackers- not much taste to them. My company sells those.

God Bless

Matt

Anonymous said...

That's cool, glad those missionaries are going with such great prayer support!

Yum, dried squid. The spicy ones are even yummier! :)

Redeemed said...

Wow, that is great, missionaries to Nigeria! Will keep them in prayer.

Glad you had a nice Sunday!

Matthew Celestine said...

I really like your new photograph.

Carey said...

Squid, eh? I've got a large package in my pantry. Did you eat seaweed snacks? Those are pretty good.

You know what's so funny, is that I've been teaching the children I babysit about Japan this week. Don't ask me why. I wanted to start teaching them about different countries and cultures (with a missions focus), and Japan popped into my head. I taught the kids how to make oragami, write in Japanese, etc. They got such a kick out of it. Missions made fun by Carey.

I even teach sushi-making. *laughs* Ask Sarah's brother about that one. We spent almost an entire afternoon making sushi.