Thursday, August 31, 2006
Today's culinary experiment
Sometimes I get bored eating the same stuff and decide that it's time to try something new. Today's culinary experiment was baked chicken. I took a boneless, skinless chicken breast and cut it in half. I mixed up 3/4 cup orange juice, a little bit of lemon juice, a touch of olive oil (no more than a tablespoon of each, if even that much) and some Mexican seasoning (the stuff I bought in the grocery store labeled "Mexican Seasoning" - no hidden ingredients here - I shook some in, stirred, then sniffed, then added more until it smelled tasty). I took a baking dish and put foil inside, folding the foil up to hold all of the liquid. I put the chicken on the foil and poured the orange juice mixture on it. I baked it at 375 for 15 minutes, turned it, then baked it for another 20 minutes or so (it was still partially frozen in the middle, so I am not sure how long fully thawed meat would have taken to bake). While the chicken was baking I cooked some white rice, adding a cube of chicken bullion for flavor. I also cooked some zucchini, adding butter at the end. I put some rice on the plate, put the chicken on the rice bed, spooned some of the orange juice mixture over the chicken and rice, and put the zucchini on the plate. What I had was a nice dinner of moist, tender chicken on a bed of rice with a side of zucchini. It turned out well. Perhaps if I make it again I will marinate the meat for a little while in the juice before baking it, but it was really a quick and easy meal (and relatively healthy, too) made with ingredients on hand. :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


10 comments:
yummy, good job, Angie :) especially that I love zucchinis. Ever had zucchini soup? It's very good!
I don't know if I have had zucchini soup before, but I have had soup made from other kinds of squash, and that's good. I think one of my personal odd favorites is pumpkin soup. There's a "chick food" place that I used to frequent in California that makes it a few times each fall as their soup of the day and my friends and I always made sure we ate there on those days.
Sounds great.
'Zucchinis' are supposed to be called Courgettes. Yanklandic.
No, zucchini are supposed to be called zucchini, plural of the Italian zucchino. ;)
That chicken sounds good. I will have to fix that for dinner sometime. Thanks - I am always looking for ideas that are easy! I wish my family liked zucchini - I really like it but I am the only one. I can force one kid to eat, but it is so unpleasant when you already know they do not like something - all of them.
Courgette is the French word for zucchini :)
Your culinary experiment sounds yummy. :) The pumpkin and zucchini soup, however, do not sound yummy to me. LOL. Maybe it's because I'm not a big soup fan. :)
Soup made from squash does not sound good to me, either, but it really does taste good!
I am happy to share an easy recipe. It is quite nice when stuff I throw together tastes good, too! :) I will have to try it out on other people someday and see what they think of the taste. My roommate agreed that the juice mixture smelled really good (she came home after I ate but before I cleaned up).
Ah, Alicia's. In just a month or two we should have pumpkin soup on the menu. Angie, you should come home for that. :-)
Rose~, dont give up.
I did not like Courgettes when I was a child. My mother made me eat them anyway.
I still do not like them much, but I eat them if they find their way to my plate.
God Bless
Matthew
Post a Comment