Friday, June 23, 2006

All go for launch

We completed our training today. I got my official ID and lanyard, which I have to wear at all times when I am working. We took a tour of the building, and I found out that they have a sauna. That's probably the only part of the facility that I find tempting, although I kind of doubt that I will actually use it. We planned out the activities for the first week, which seemed rather daunting at first but actually wasn't all that bad. We (Brad, my group co-leader, and I) also got our roster of kids. Apparently we have the kid who won't shut up and a really challenging kid and another one who is a new kid to the program who happens to be bi-polar. I really hope he's on medication, but I am glad we know either way so we can keep an eye on his moods. Overall we have 17 kids in our group.

One of the things mentioned in the training today was swimming. There was a suggestion that we should be in the pool with the kids. I don't actually have a swimsuit right now and really prefer not to swim! I am going to have to ask what the expectations are for that. Part of me thinks that I should probably get a suit and wear it under my clothes on days with extended pool times in case of emergencies. It shouldn't be necessary, though, since there are lifeguards!

5 comments:

psychobob said...

Hey Angie!
It's Bob from IBEX '01! Found your site from the IBEX map thingy! Sooo cool! Too bad I have to go eat dinner now!
I have a blog too, by the way:
psychobobsmusings.blogspot.com

Matthew Celestine said...

I am not into swimming.

Saunas are great, though. Something we have to thank the Finns for.

God Bless

Matt

Angie said...

PSYCHOBOB!!! I will definitely check out your blog. So good to hear from you again!

Matt, I have to confess that I really do enjoy an occasional swim, but certain people have made me rethink how and when it may or may not be appropriate for reasons of modesty. Even without that, though, I imagine that I probably would not want to swim too often. It's a bit of a pain with my contacts since I have to be careful about water splashing in my face and I don't necessarily like smelling like chlorine, either.

I do enjoy a sauna, but I think I need to find out how often they are used and whether or not they are private. The one we had in Israel was open during certain hours, so sometimes tourists staying onsite would come in, and I'm not so keen on being naked around strangers, even if they are just other women.

Matthew Celestine said...

When I went to Finland, I wondered if I might get the chance to use a sauna. I was a bit apprehensive about nudity, but I would have been a right coward to go to Finland and chicken out of a sauna.

It was lovely.

Here in the UK, people wear swimmign costumes in saunas, which must be really horrible.

I do think unisex swimming is not appropriate.

Every Blessing in Christ

Matthew

Angie said...

When we were in Israel it took us a few trips to the sauna in our bathing suits before we were brave enough to do it right. I have no idea what common practice is in saunas here.