Tuesday, June 20, 2006

More difficult times

Tonight my roommate got the final word. Her boyfriend put their relationship "on hold" three weeks ago and tonight they had a talk to discuss what he had decided. Nicole came into my room sobbing. I knew what the decision was. As we sat on the floor for a long time it occurred to me that this was the second time I sat and just listened to someone cry in the past four days. And for the second time I had no idea what to say, so for the second time I just listened. I think what was important was that I was there.

I know it is not by mistake that I am in the position of listening. With the call on Thursday night from the man who told me about some of the trials in his life and with a call that I made to someone who did a good job of listening to me when I needed to talk, I think I am learning about what it means to be there for someone by listening.

God also seems to be telling me in so many ways to hold all things with an open hand. The LORD gives and the LORD takes away, and that's okay, because He always does what is best for us, even if it hurts. The branch that produces fruit is pruned so that it may produce even more fruit. Pruning hurts, but it is what is best for the branch. Blessed be the name of the LORD.

7 comments:

Matthew Celestine said...

God has certainly put you in the right position.

Yes, we need to be ready to be pruned.

God Bless

Matt

Angie said...

Yes, God has put me where He wants me, and that's always a good place to be.

I find that pruning hurts more when I resist.

Rose~ said...

Good thoughts. I try to teach this to my kids and a phrase from this one rock song from my teenage years always seems to come to mind. "Hold on loosely."
How unspiritual is that? :~)

Rose~ said...

Did I spell "loosely" right? Now I need to look it up and will be embarrassed after I corrected Matthew the other day about the word "loose".

Angie said...

Thanks, Rose! God can use the "unspiritual" to teach us spiritual truth, I think (by which I certainly do not mean that we should pursue the unspiritual in hopes that spiritual truth will come through it), so I think it's a great phrase. Yes, you did spell it correctly, but even if you did not I am sure Matthew would forgive you. :)

Anonymous said...

Wow, poor girl. That is a rough time. I'm glad God is using you as comforter for all these hurting people. That is very true, the LORD gives and the LORD takes away, blessed be the name of the LORD.

Angie said...

It makes me wonder what kind of ministry I will have in people's lives in the future with all of this happening around me now. I know God will use it somehow.