Saturday, June 24, 2006

Long afternoon

My roommate was coordinating a wedding this weekend, so of course I got roped into helping. Originally I was just going to help set up some stuff at the reception site that needed to be done right before the guests arrived. That turned into helping set up, greeting guests, serving sparkling grape juice for the toast, then staying to help clean up. After 5 hours on my feet doing all of that stuff I decided I had enough and left. They weren't done yet and I know they have to clean up at the church, so I told Nicole to call me tonight at 8:oo if they are still at the church cleaning up and I will come help more then, but I needed a break. I had to change my shoes if nothing else. It felt SO good to take my shoes off when I walked through the door a few minutes ago. I think I'll take a nap, since I am rather tired. I cannot imagine how exhausted my poor roommate is right now, and I left her there to work. It's times like these that remind me why, someday, I want a small and simple wedding. Maybe when the time comes I'll just elope. After planning my sister's wedding several years ago my mom decided that eloping is really the way to go. It would certainly be cheaper and require a lot fewer good friends! ;)

4 comments:

Matthew Celestine said...

A simple wedding is a good idea.

My disastrous engagement was not helped by the stress of planning a huge wedding.

God Bless

Matt

Angie said...

I guess I cannot see what is accomplished by planning a huge and expensive wedding. Even the simple ones are a lot of work. I think if couples spent more time working on their relationship and less time planning the perfect wedding that marriages might last a little bit longer. There is far too much emphasis placed on the wedding and far too little emphasis placed on the actual marriage.

Matthew Celestine said...

Quite so.

Anonymous said...

Ah, but I beg to differ on some of the details ... Almost all of the minutiae of my huge wedding fell into place, right down to financing the whole blooming circus. [Then again, even I think being married by a bishop, 5 priests a deacon and two subdeacons is excessive. THAT part was not under my control.] Methinks God has his hand on these things, too.

You only get to do the wedding once (if you do the marriage right, and if you have the blessing to not lose your partner into old age), so you might as well make it as glorious a feast as any. Christians are invited to the heavenly Marriage Supper of the Lamb; how glorious that we can celebrate here in microcosm the magnificence of Christ's love for his Church. A wedding is not about the couple, it is about our participation in a God-ordained holy state that typifies the greatest love ever demonstrated.

People still tell us 4 years later how much fun they had at our wedding, and they showered us with gifts and money to make it possible. So, I would do it again--the same way--in a heartbeat. Allowing others to invest in us on that day was a gift to more than just us.

As for the marriage, you get to plan for that for the rest of your life (which is not to imply one should not plan for and invest in it ahead of time...) it is just that you get to pay for it and invest in it on a moment-by-moment basis for years. The wedding, though, is the milestone, the moment of change, the marker of your committment. The lasting relationship is what matters, but those special milestones together ought not be minimized. The memories and the sharing of joy with others are priceless.

(And no, mom did not plan MY wedding :P)

hugs to baby sis