I had my second day of training today. We talked about discipline, which I found rather interesting, even though a lot of it was really designed to work well with the really young ones. I have to admit that I actually enjoy learning what they have to tell us in training, since this is a new venture for me. We also talked about how to spot signs of child abuse, since we are required by law to report anything that we think is suspicious. Sitting there and listening to what to look for was really starting to upset me. I believe in discipline, and I think I am better for the spankings I received as a child, but I really hate abuse. Hurting children is just not okay! Especially sexual abuse. That really makes me angry. Moving right along...
I found out for sure that I am working with 10-12 year olds, and am very glad that the guy I will be working with has a lot of experience. That makes me more comfortable! He's getting married in two weeks, so he'll be gone for a week early on in the program. That should be a challenge, but at least by then I should have some idea of what works and what we can do to keep the kids entertained all day and they will have some substitute for him, I am pretty sure. I think tomorrow we will work on planning the first week's activities. I am trying to remember what I liked to do at that age, but I was hardly a "normal" kid! I don't think that we end up in these positions by mistake, so I think it will all work out well. I need to love them first and foremost and provide a positive example for them. That is what is most important.
My sister called me tonight. I have spoken to her twice in the past week, and I usually don't talk to her more than once every month or two. That was nice. :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


5 comments:
I proabably ought to contact my sister some time, or maybe even visit her. I have not spoken to her on the phone for a couple of weeks, I think.
God Bless
Matt
Sounds like a good idea, Matt. Maintaining positive relationships with family is a very good thing to do!
My sisters have lived so far away for so long - we don't talk enough.
It sounds like you're going to be doing something that will require a lot of care. God bless you.
Yes, if it were not for the internet I probably would never communicate with my other sister either, so at least I keep in touch well with one of them!
Thanks, Rose. It will be a challenge, but I am sure it will also be a great joy!
Yeah - then there is that OTHER sister. Whatever happened to her anyway? :P
Hugs to baby sis... and thanks to God for AIM and Skype. :)
Post a Comment