Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Training Day One - Complete

Today I had first aid and CPR certification training. The trainer was cool, so it wasn't as dry and dull and sleep-inducing as it could have been. We learned adult & child CPR, which are almost the same. It included fun stuff like how to clear airways and remove obstructions. Yay! We were also told great stuff like what to do if there is a broken bone that breaks through the skin - don't push it in. Like I'm going to try to do that anyway. Sure. I really hope I don't have to use any of this stuff that I learned, but it is certainly useful knowledge and I am glad that we are required to get certified!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

"sleep-inducing"

Haha, I like that phrase. Now Nicole doesn't have to worry - if she ever chokes on a piece of chicken you can perform the Heimlich on her. ;)

Angie said...

Oh, but we learned a different way to dislodge objects that are blocking airways other than the Heimlich. Because she works in a daycare center she also has to be certified in this stuff, and she had never heard of the method we were taught today. I guess the Red Cross is still a little bit behind the times ;).

Anonymous said...

Hmm, well - you could get two of your mutual friends to choke on purpose and see which method of dislodging a choking object works best/fastest. Haha. ;)

But see, now you can save each other if ever one of you chokes on a piece of chicken. ;)

Angie said...

Perhaps I will simply ignore the test and trust that the guy doing the training knew what he was talking about. I think he is an EMT, so he should know!

Matthew Celestine said...

I am sure that stuff must be very difficult.

Angie said...

It is actually not as difficult as one might imagine. The first aid I am sure I will not remember well at all, but CPR isn't too bad. I think what I did NOT like about CPR is that the instructor told us that if we are doing it right on an adult we will very likely crack at least one rib. Not cool.