Someone told me
It's all happening at the zoo.
I do believe it,
I do believe it's true.
It's a light and tumble journey
From the East Side to the park;
Just a fine and fancy ramble
To the zoo.
But you can take the crosstown bus
If it's raining or it's cold,
And the animals will love it
If you do...
(Simon & Garfunkel, "At the Zoo")
Actually, if it is raining tomorrow I don't think we will take a crosstown bus to the zoo, but if the weather cooperates the zoo is exactly where I'll be. I've been to the zoo here once. My parents and I went there when they came to visit in October because it is one of the few things to do around here. Rain is likely, however, since it is raining right now. We have had some really huge thunderstorms the past two nights that have woken me up or kept me awake. It rained so hard that it sounded like someone was pouring a huge barrel of water right outside my window! The rain let up long enough for us to take the 10-12 year olds to a golf course this afternoon for a lesson in how to play golf. It was fun to watch them try to putt the ball. Some were pretty good for beginners and some weren't so good. The leaders did not participate in the exercises for the most part. I don't think I would have done much better than some of the kids! It was also funny to watch the dynamics of the 12 year old "couple". I have to wonder if it is going to last more than a week or two. Most at that age don't last long at all, probably because they are not generally based on much of anything. Kids are funny. Four of the leaders rode in a car since there was not enough room on the bus for all of us. Listening to them talk reminded me that I am different because I know Jesus Christ. I can never really relate to them because there are fundamental differences in how we approach life. We are called to be different, and that thought bothers me less than it used to. I don't really want to be like them. I want to be like Jesus Christ and live in a visibly godly manner!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


6 comments:
Yes, it is remarkable how different unbelievers are.
Sometimes I forget just how different!
Oh, I love the zoo too! I especially love the San Diego Wild Animal Park. I want to go back again now that they have the new Lion section. :) I hope it has stopped raining and that you were able to go! How is the flooding thing going over there anyway?
Yes, not only can we sense the difference but they can sense it as well. Some will see it and be curious, while others will react as in 1 Peter 4:
1Therefore, since Christ suffered in his body, arm yourselves also with the same attitude, because he who has suffered in his body is done with sin. 2As a result, he does not live the rest of his earthly life for evil human desires, but rather for the will of God. 3For you have spent enough time in the past doing what pagans choose to do—living in debauchery, lust, drunkenness, orgies, carousing and detestable idolatry. 4They think it strange that you do not plunge with them into the same flood of dissipation, and they heap abuse on you. 5But they will have to give account to him who is ready to judge the living and the dead.
Shieryl, I saw the new lion exhibit when I was there last year. It is really nice! I was mentioning to a co-worker that I first went to the zoo here not long after going to the Wild Animal Park and he laughed. Of course I am going to find this zoo deficient! It was actually a really nice day today. :)
Sarah, they don't have any monkeys, but they have other monkey-like animals that are fun to watch.
I loved the "zoo" down in the Aravah. Especially the scorpions trying to kill each other. We never did find out how many scorpions they had to put in the display case each day. But in the span of a couple minutes one died...
They close the zoo if it rains? Wow, the Portland Oregon zoo would never be open if that was thier policy. They have some great Polar Bears there.
No, I think the zoo would be open, but I don't know if we would still take the kids there. We might have anyway, but the rain we've been getting has been really hard rain, which would have made the almost all outdoor zoo a bit of a wet experience.
I don't remember the homocidal scorpions, but I do remember the park.
Post a Comment