Thursday, July 27, 2006

Field trip fun!

Today we took the kids to a place where they have miniature golf, a skating rink, laser tag and a water slide. I had not roller skated in years, but I thought I might try it. At least a few of the leaders have to get involved in that kind of thing with the kids! Most of the kids were on roller blades, but I opted for the classic, tried and true skates. I wanted to have a little bit of fun, not make a fool of myself! I successfully skated around the rink several times and did not fall. I guess I remember how to do it after all. ;) I would have stayed out longer, but I started to get a sore arch in one foot and sore hip from shifting my weight on the turns. I don't remember such issues from when I did this as a kid. I must not be a kid anymore.

My highly advanced age did not keep me off of the water slides, however. I may be able to resist swimming in a pool, but water slides are far too great of a temptation for me. I actually had to go out shopping for swimming attire earlier this week in anticipation of this day. Note to self: Don't wait until summer is halfway over before buying a swimsuit! Shopping was a pain. Fortunately I was able to find some decent stuff, including some knee-length board shorts, to wear. It was worth it, however, as the rides down the slides today were extremely enjoyable. The kids loved the fact that the leaders were all participating. The leaders had fun. Sounds like a win-win situation to me!

Here are the leaders for the two 10-12 year old groups at the end of the field trip (after getting all wet, so hair and make-up aren't what they were at the beginning of the trip, and I'm sporting a nice shade of pink from spending a lot of time in the sun over the past few weeks, too). The two on the left are the leaders of the other group and the guy next to me has been working with my group for the past three weeks. Tomorrow is his last day (which is a shame - I really like working with him), so I will have a different co-leader for my group starting next week. The bus behind us is full of the kids.

9 comments:

Matthew Celestine said...

Sounds a bit too much fun for my liking.

Angie said...

I think working with kids is reminding me of how to have fun like that again.

Carey said...

Do I spy swim trunks? *laughs and winks at Angie*

Angie said...

Hah! No, you don't, for, as you see, we had all changed. What you see are basketball shorts. One of my co-workers did get some swim trunk photos, however. ;) Sigh... He is rather nicely put together...

Redeemed said...

oooh Fun in the Sun.

I love all those activities, well, maybe not so much the skating rink. I especially love the WATER SLIDES!!!

Glad you had a good time, Angie. :)

Rose~ said...

Looks and sounds like fun. My 8 year old daughter wants me to get roller blades so we can blade together. I am working up to it. I would prefer roller skates, like you. :~)

Angie said...

Yes, Sarah, water slides are very fun!

Rose, I like to keep my balance, so I stay away from the blades!

Anonymous said...

Hey, who is that hottie on the far right? ;) I love water slides too! Hubby and I went to a water park last summer and are tempted to go again this summer especially since this one is much hotter than last year!!! :)

Angie said...

Shieryl, I like the way the one next to me looks better. Too bad he's not saved and is leaving the state next week! ;)