Friday, July 7, 2006
Yet another really long day
Today we went to a park with the kids. We were there all day. I took a hike around the lake with two other leaders and some of the girls, pushed some kids on the swings and watched the kids swim in the lake. It was actually a little cooler than most of us would have preferred, and it was really overcast, so I knew that I was going to get a sunburn even with the sunblock on. I was right. My nose is a bit pink! By the time we got back to the school at 4:00 I was exhausted, and all I wanted to do was go to sleep. My roommate came home and brought a bunch of really overripe bananas with her. There is only one thing to do with them: make banana bread. That led to a necessary trip to Wal-Mart. It was also an interesting moment as we decided whose recipe to use. It is such a stupid little thing, but we almost got in a fight about it. Honestly when she brought them home and told me about it I really thought she meant that she wanted me to make the bread (since, as she said, I am apparently famous for it), which would be fine with me, but she apparently thought it would be something we would both do. She pulled out her recipe book to use, and I was just not okay with that. Cooks are a bit particular, and there is no way I was going to make it like she does. We ended up each making a loaf with our own recipes. We got a late start to the baking and it was 11:30 by the time the second one came out of the oven. I tried my hand at making mayonnaise tonight while the bread was in the oven. It seems to have turned out well enough. I like to cook, but I also like to sleep. Somehow the balance has been a bit off this week...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


8 comments:
My mother has one of those bread-making machines. You can make any sort of bread in it (as long as you do not mind it cube-shaped with a hole in the bottom).
God Bless
Matthew
My sister has one, too. It would be rather convenient, I think, but there is something fulfilling about making one's own bread. That said, I haven't made yeast bread in ages (which is probably what I would use a bread machine for if I had one). Fulfilling, yes, but also extremely time consuming!
Cooking is fun, I just don't like the cleaning part.
Amen to that, Sarah!
I prefer to cook meat over fire...
You and my father both, Bob!
You and Nicole are not alone - I'm the same way. That's the funny thing about banana bread. I think it's just one of those things that everyone is picky about. I think the balance of banana taste and level of sweetness is what people are picky about and why everyone prefers the banana bread recipe they have because that's the one that tastes best to them. :)
Actually, what's silly is that her recipe called for 1 cup of mashed bananas and shortening. I prefer to use oil in my quick breads because the fat mixes in better and makes for a more evenly moist bread. I prefer recipes that say to use X number of bananas. I have no desire to pre-mash my bananas (they get mashed well enough by the mixer, thank you very much) and then measure them. Too much work!
Post a Comment