Saturday, July 15, 2006

Updates

The family drama of which I wrote a few weeks ago has settled down and relationships have been restored at least well enough that the parties involved are still planning to visit/be visited according to plans made before the drama started. That's a very good thing!

In the most recent edition of "the LORD taketh away" it looks like this one will NOT be handed right back to me as the other things He has taken from me recently. I have no idea where money is going to come from once the summer ends. God will provide, but I don't know how yet. I think it is time that I look for a job. I do not look forward to that! I am very seriously considering at least deferring my enrollment in school for a year or just dropping out altogether. It has proven too expensive for my taste and not particularly enjoyable. I would rather work full time than be in school. The job market is not very good out here, so that adds an extra challenge to the situation.

I have been in New York for 11 months now. I think I have grown a lot since I left California. I still have a lot of growing left to do! During this time God has shown me over and over again that He is faithful and trustworthy. I know I posted this once before, but my favorite hymn is really speaking to me right now.

Be still, my soul: the Lord is on thy side.
Bear patiently the cross of grief or pain.
Leave to thy God to order and provide;
In every change, He faithful will remain.
Be still, my soul: thy best, thy heavenly Friend
Through thorny ways leads to a joyful end.

Be still, my soul: thy God doth undertake
To guide the future, as He has the past.
Thy hope, thy confidence let nothing shake;
All now mysterious shall be bright at last.
Be still, my soul: the waves and winds still know
His voice Who ruled them while He dwelt below.

Be still, my soul: the hour is hastening on
When we shall be forever with the Lord.
When disappointment, grief and fear are gone,
Sorrow forgot, love’s purest joys restored.
Be still, my soul: when change and tears are past
All safe and blessèd we shall meet at last.

The first verse is about the faithfulness of God when life is hard and when things change around us. In the past year I have known a lot of change, and He has indeed been faithful in every change. The second verse is probably what speaks the loudest right now. My God doth undertake to guide the future. Things may be mysterious to me now, but God will make the way clear to me in His perfect time. My confidence in Him can withstand every trial because He is the faithful, unchanging God who is in complete control! The waves and winds still know His voice, even when the rain comes and we are hit by one of the worst floods since this area was settled. My soul can yet be still in Him. The last verse is a good reminder that life is not just what we have here on Earth. Someday, at a time that is closer every minute, I will stand before God. As His child, He will wipe away all of my tears. There will be no more trials and no more change, because I will be in His presence for eternity. We serve a great God!

4 comments:

Matthew Celestine said...

Your faith is so strong.

Trying to find a job is so hard. I have found periods of unemployment very stressful.

It is so great that you are not discouraged.

Every Blessing in Christ

Matthew

Angie said...

Thanks, Matt. I certainly dread the process of looking for a job!

Matthew Celestine said...

You come across as very reliable to me, and I have not even met you.

I am sure you will give that impression at interviews.

God Bless

Matt

Angie said...

Thank you, Matt. You do encourage me!